Sunday, January 3, 2010

Lazy Sunday Leftovers

Usually Sundays are my day to make an extra special dinner, to try something new or more time-consuming that I don't have the energy to make during the week, when I get home too late and too exhausted. But this Sunday was too cold and snowy to go out for groceries, and I was full of dread about going back to work after such a blissful holiday break.

My fridge revealed the following: leftover Hoppin' John and Collard Greens, and a variety of salsas and guacamole from New Years. Also, some Field Roast Chipotle Sausages and some soy cheese. Mexican it is!

I'm not going to post an actual recipe because 1) I wasn't measuring, and 2) you could easily adapt this to suit your own tastes with whatever you happen to have on hand. What I did was as follows:

1. Reheat the Hoppin' John (I had about one cup leftover) with two of the chipotle sausages, breaking them up in the pan. Spoon about 1/3 cup of this mixture onto a warm whole-wheat tortilla, top with grated soy cheddar, salsa, guacamole, vegan sour cream (like Tofutti's Better than Sour Cream), a few dashes of hot sauce, roll up and voila! It's a burrito! (Actually this made two slightly over-stuffed burritos and I still had enough for a third one leftover.)



2. Melt about a Tbsp. of Earth Balance in a saute pan over med-high heat. When butter is melted, place a whole-wheat tortilla in the pan. Spread about one cup of the reheated collard greens with raisins in an even layer over tortilla. I happened to have some soy gouda cheese from Fresh Direct, which I sprinkled over the greens and topped with another tortilla. Dot the top tortilla with a few thin pats of butter, then carefully but quickly flip the whole thing over with a large spatula. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Voila! A quesadilla!







The chipotle sausage added a little extra spicy kick to the Hoppin' John, which was already nicely flavored with the creole seasonings. But the real revelation was how well the greens paired with the gouda cheese. The slight sweetness and tanginess of the greens, due to the raisins and orange juice, were a nice contrast to the earthy, creamy gouda. The whole combination was sweet and savory, even better when I topped it with some mango salsa. Who needs to go out when you can scrape together a meal this good with leftovers?

1 comment: