Sunday, March 21, 2010

Real Men Eat (Vegan) Quiche: Swiss Chard Tofu Quiche & Lemon-Thyme Roasted Potatoes


My favorite meal is Sunday brunch. There's no other meal that encourages you in quite the same way to spend such a long, leisurely time at the table. And what other meal encourages daytime drinking? Breakfast? Hardly! So if my checklist includes eating well and drinking in the daytime, then brunch pretty much can't be beat.

Although I usually like to go out and catch up with friends for Sunday brunch, I decided to make it at home this weekend. I was inspired after seeing the recipe for Red Chard Tofu Quiche in the March/April issue of VegNews. I just happened to pick up some Swiss Chard from the farmer's market, so even though it wasn't the red variety, it was still very good. I actually don't know if there's any difference in taste between the two varieties of chard, all I know is that one has red stems and the other white.

Anyway, the quiche was very easy to make, seeing as I skipped the time-consuming part of making my own crust and used a store-bought one. After sauteeing one chopped yellow onion, two minced cloves of garlic, and some salt and pepper, I added one tsp. of oregano, 1/2 tsp. turmeric, and the bunch of chard that I had thinly sliced and sauteed another minute or two. After turning off the heat I added to this mixture one 16 oz. package of firm tofu that I had blended with 1/3 cup of unsweetened soymilk in the food processor until it was smooth. After the tofu mixture has been folded in, you just pour it all into a pie crust and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

I've tasted a few vegan quiches that left a lot to be desired. They can often turn out bland/tasting too much like plain tofu, but this one was really good. The chard gives it just the right amount of bitterness, and it is nicely spiced and flavorful. The texture is also very pleasing, it has that eggy/custardy mouthfeel of a regular quiche. With the top nicely browned, I think you could fool a lot of people into thinking this is, in fact, a regular quiche!




And if brunch is my favorite meal, then the hash browns/home fries/roasted potatoes are usually my favorite part of the meal. (Except, of course, for the mimosas. That goes without saying.) I decided to roast the potatoes with some lemon, garlic, and thyme. These turned out great and paired perfectly with the quiche. The lemon juice really brightens up and cuts through the richness of the quiche and potatoes. The only thing missing from this otherwise perfect brunch was my mimosa!

Lemon-Thyme Roasted Potatoes
makes 4 servings

1 1/2 lbs. red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
1 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
1 tsp. coarse sea salt
black pepper, to taste
3 Tbsp. olive oil
juice from 1/2 lemon

Preheat oven to 375. Combine everything except lemon juice in a medium bowl, mix well until potatoes are evenly coated. Roast for about 40 minutes, until potatoes are golden brown and crispy.
Squeeze lemon juice over potatoes before serving.


1 comment:

  1. I am not an egg eater and therefore not a quiche eater, but that looks good and egg free! Your potatoes also look mighty tasty! Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad I linked your blog to mine!

    VG

    ReplyDelete