Saturday, April 24, 2010

Best Dessert EVER: Bananas Foster with Coconut Ice Cream


I like bananas. I like rum too. But when you put them together, holy crap, something magical happens. This magic is of course aided by a buttery, caramelized, warm gooey sauce that would pretty much make anything taste like ambrosia from the gods. I've had bananas foster before, but damn did I forget how incredibly good it tastes.

It is super quick and easy to make, which is good because it smells so amazing when it's cooking that if you had to wait any longer you might be tempted to dunk your face into the scalding hot bubbling caramel, which would not be good. The recipe is from The Joy of Vegan Baking, which has a 100% approval rating for everything I have tried so far. You just melt 4 Tbsp. of nondairy butter in a large, heavy pan. When the butter is melted, stir in 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 Tbsp. of rum, 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla, 1 tsp. cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg. When the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is bubbling, add 4 bananas that have been sliced in half lengthwise and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans. Gently coat the bananas and nuts with the syrup, but don't allow the bananas to become mushy.


I served this with a scoop of Purely Decadent Coconut Milk Coconut ice cream. The store was out of my favorite flavor, Vanilla Bean, but this was fortuitous because the Coconut was fantastic with the bananas. I think I have a new all-time favorite dessert. Please run and make this right now. Run!

Thank you Patricia for this fantastic bottle of rum!

4 comments:

  1. Bananas Foster was one of my most favorite desserts before becoming vegan. It's been many years since I've had it, and this recipe looks scrumptious! I'm glad I waited all these years, because I know this vegan version is going to taste incredible with Purely Decadent coconut milk ice cream. Thank you for sharing the recipe! I had better go make it before I start licking the photo on my screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful!!!! My goodness, can't wait to try this. = )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking at your old posts! SO good! Must make this for sure!

    ReplyDelete