Saturday, April 17, 2010

Golden Delicious: Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes


So it turned out to be a cold, damp, crappy day today. Great weather for an outdoor bake sale, right? The weather may not have been sunny, but that didn't put a damper on the spirits of the NY food bloggers who showed up to participate in the Share Our Strength Bake Sale. According to Jacquie from The JLH Life, we managed to raise $1,165! I saw some amazing (albeit non-vegan) creations, including gorgeous cupcakes from Cupcakes in Heels and pretty-as-a-picture (albeit VERY non-vegan) macarons from Macaron Parlour. Now I just have to convince Simon from Macaron Parlour to make some vegan macarons...or, I guess, make them myself.

So here, as promised, is my recipe for Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes. I must add that I am also a huge fan of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World's Pineapple Right-Side Up Cupcakes.  Sometimes I make them upside-down, sometimes I make them right-side up. I'm crazy and unpredictable that way.

Vegan Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes
makes 12 cupcakes

For topping:
4 Tbsp. (1/2 stick) Earth Balance, melted
1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple, drained, juice reserved
1/2 cup light brown sugar

For cupcakes:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
4 Tbsp. (1/2 stick) Earth Balance
1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice
1 tsp. Egg Replacer, mixed with 2 Tbsp. water until smooth (equivalent of one egg)

1. Preheat oven to 350. Lightly butter (with Earth Balance or vegetable oil) and flour cupcake pan. Turn cupcake pan over sink and knock out the excess flour.

2. Prepare the topping: Measure exactly 1 tsp. of melted Earth Balance into each cupcake cup. Sprinkle 1 packed tsp. of brown sugar on top of the butter. Spread 1 Tbsp. of pineapple on top of the brown sugar.


3. Prepare the cupcakes: In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and spices. Add butter and pineapple juice, then mix with electric beaters about two minutes until smooth. Mix in the egg replacer and combine thoroughly.

4. Spoon batter over pineapple mixture, filling each cup about 3/4 full. Bake 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and tester comes out clean.

5. Cool the cupcakes no more than five minutes before running a knife around edges of each cake. Place a cooling rack on top of the cupcake pan, then invert and shake out the cakes. They should fall right out. If any pineapple sticks to the pan, simply use a knife to re-spread it over the top of the cupcake.



You may notice that I don't include the traditional maraschino cherries in my cupcakes. The reason is because, although they add an eye-pleasing pop of color, the unnatural redness (read: FD&C Red #40) freaks me out. If you want to use them, add half a cherry to the bottom of each cup, pressing down into the middle of the pineapple so that the cherry will show on top when cupcakes are inverted.

These cupcakes are moist and spongy, subtly spiced, and definitely best when eaten warm. Even better when served with a scoop of Purely Decadent Coconut Milk Vanilla Bean ice cream.

15 comments:

  1. These look fantastic. Could I please post this recipe on my website www.all-about-cupcakes.com with a link back to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Louise! I would love for you to post this recipe on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good goddess! These look incredible! I am making them this afternoon and just as you suggested, our family will be enjoying them tonight with some Purely Decadent vanilla bean coconut milk ice cream! Can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I will try them with gluten free flour mix and let you know how they turned out. But this week is so over-booked for me and I am traveling next weekend so it may be a while. But oh so yummy looking :-)

    BTW: I am gluten, corn, dairy, and egg free due to allergies and Celiac Disease. I am limiting my soy but do well with the Earth Balance Buttery Spread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the feedback everyone! Helen- we'll both be eating some of these a la mode tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't wait to make these! Thank you for sharing the recipe, Leinana. They are so delicious! I didn't have any Purely Decadent coconut milk vanilla bean ice cream on hand, so I had to make do with the new Swiss Almond Chip flavor. Check it out: http://twitpic.com/1gqjy1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that looks delicious Vegiegail! It looks like they turned out perfectly. I'm so glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How do these rise because they don't seem to have any leveners? My came out really dense and gummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking powder is a leavener. In the past, when my cakes come out dense and gummy, I've noticed that my baking powder had expired. Maybe check the date? I'm so sorry your recipe didn't turn out well!

      Delete
  10. Do you think I could use rice flour instead of all-purpose flour to make these gluten-free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthie - I'm not an expert on gluten-free baking, so I would experiment with the rice flour to see how the texture turns out. Good luck!

      Delete
  11. I would just like to say how amazing these are! I made them for my husband's bday and everyone loved them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quick q. Can you substitute the earth balance for coconut or canola oil? as I dont have any in my fridge @ the moment,but want to bake these stat!!
    :) they look delightful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could sub oil for the EB, but I haven't done it that way so I can't give you the correct amount to use. Good luck!

      Delete