Saturday, May 15, 2010

Vegan Biscuits & Sausage Gravy, Avocado Toast, Veggie Pride Parade & More


Yes, that was my breakfast this morning. We don't get to sleep in on the weekends because we get up and take Bella to the park so she can run off-leash and play with all her puppy pals. By the time we get home, we're so famished you'd think we were the ones running around nonstop for an hour and  a half chasing everyone and sniffing butts. (Just for the record, we don't do that. Bella does.)

If you know me, you know I love a good hearty brunch, so today when we got back from the park I made biscuits and sausage gravy with a side of Alexia hashed browns. The very quick and easy vegan biscuit recipe is here. (In my biscuits & gravy excitement, I forgot to take photos until everything was done.) After making biscuits, I cheated on the gravy - I simply crumbled up some vegan sausage, sauteed it in olive oil, and then mixed it with some instant "Golden Gravy" that I got from Cosmo's Vegan Shoppe. Yum!

That's Bella, chilling out in her beanbag chair after a busy morning in the park.

After such a big breakfast, we only needed a light snack this afternoon. My husband, who rarely steps foot in the kitchen except to make coffee/tea in the mornings, made this avocado toast which is so delicious and so genius in its simplicity, I had to post it.  He just cut some slices of the whole wheat sourdough loaf we got from the farmer's market this morning, spread them with a little Earth Balance, mashed up avocado, and sprinkled the top with some sea salt, black pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Instant, delicious, and satisfying!


Tomorrow morning, after our fun in the park, we're heading over to the West Village for the 3rd Annual Veggie Pride Parade. This will actually be our first year attending the parade. I'm excited to see how many people come out to fly their veggie-flags with pride. A long list of speakers & entertainers are scheduled to address the crowds after the parade ends in Union Square, among them Tracye McQuirter, author of By Any Greens Necessary; Kathy Stevens, founder and director of Catskill Animal Sanctuary and author of Where the Blind Horse Sings; and keynote speaker Mickey Z., who literally wrote the book (or pamphlet) on activism, titled Self Defense for Radicals: A to Z Guide for Subversive Struggles, among other works. SuperVegan has a great interview with Mickey Z here.

In other news, I've just a couple good links for you this week:
  • In terms of seasonal produce, chances are all you're hearing about these days are "ramps ramps ramps," "morels morels morels," and "fiddleheads fiddleheads fiddleheads." It seems every other recipe I've come across in the last few weeks has revolved around ramps, morels, or fiddleheads. Then lo and behold, I discovered someone who united all three of these things, like a holy trinity of farmer's market spring produce, into one dish. Behold, from Veganize It...Don't Criticize It!, a recipe for Blue Fried "Shrimp," Morel, Sprouting Broccoli, Ramp & Baby Arugula Salad with a Fiddlehead Remoulade Dressing. JennShaggy, you have once again blown my mind with your recipe genius. 
 
  • Something else that completely blew my mind this week was this picture from Veggie Wedgie for these FREAKING ADORABLE RAW BANANA ICE CREAM SANDWICHES! Just look at those things! And the ice cream and cookies are all raw! Unbelievable!
Image from Veggie Wedgie

3 comments:

  1. That looks like the perfect breakfast after a long walk!
    I've been on a real avocado kick lately and I think it's such an awesome stread for bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mihl! Avocado is such a perfect food - it's so healthy, but has enough fat and creaminess to make you feel like you're indulging yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried that avocado toast, so goooood!!!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete