Thursday, June 24, 2010

My Chai-Spiced Vegan Donut is a WINNER!!!

I think this is a preview of my donut creation come to life!

I'm a winner! A while back ago I announced that I was a finalist in Dunkin' Cruelty's Vegan Donut contest. Well today, the winner was FINALLY announced, and I won!!! My vegan chai-spiced creation will be made and sold at the absolutely fabulous Vegan Treats bakery in Bethlehem, PA. I couldn't be more excited to be the winner, and I want to thank all of you who voted for me! I am immediately planning a road trip to see the bakery myself and sampling my donut and more from Vegan Treats.

My original submission:
"My vegan Chai-Spiced donut (vanilla chai creme filling, white icing, and chocolate sprinkles) was inspired by my favorite beverage, a vanilla soy chai latte. No reason why vegans can't also indulge in a delicious sweet treat - even sweeter knowing that it's cruelty free!"

And in other winning vegan news, a vegan chef took the top prize on Food Networks' "Cupcake Wars." Congratulations to Chef Chloe Coscarelli! In addition to the winning Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes (recipe here), Chloe also served up Ginger Nutmeg Spice Cupcakes with Date Caramel Drizzle, Crème-filled Chocolate Orange Cupcakes with Candied Orange Peel, and Raspberry Tiramisu Cupcakes. Just reading that list of cupcakes made me die of happiness. All I can say is OH MY GOD YUMMMMMMMM!!!!

The winning cupcake!

11 comments:

  1. those donuts look AMAZING! they would be so popular at Dunkin Donuts -- no one would even know they are vegan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And I agree - who would turn down a donut like that?! If DD would offer a vegan option, I think they'd be amazed at the positive response and # of sales!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Leinana!!! I think yours sounds fantastic :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet!! congratulations leinana! if i were closer i'd roadtrip with you.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Meredith! I wish you were closer too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Congrats... That sounds like one delicious donut!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, this is so exciting! I also read about the vegan chef on Cupcake Wars. As someone who is tying to launch a very small vegan bakery, I am inspired by such success. I check your blog sometimes because I also have a vegan food blog called Kitchen La Bohème (www.kitchenlaboheme.com). Feel free to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Alyssa! I know your blog too - I'm a fan :)
    I just saw that you are also based in Brooklyn. We should do a meetup!

    ReplyDelete