Saturday, June 19, 2010

Saturday at Sun in Bloom


I can't believe that there's been a raw / macrobiotic restaurant just a few short blocks away from our apartment since January, and we didn't even know about it. This space used to be some kind of cafe that didn't look very inviting, so we didn't pay much attention to it. But after walking by a few weekends ago, we realized that it was an entirely new establishment, with lovely wood communal tables and a healthy, delicious-looking menu. We finally had a chance to try it out today, and my crystal ball tells me that we're going to become regulars at Sun in Bloom.

Their special scramble of the day was a miso ginger tofu. The miso gave it just a touch of sweetness, and it had a wonderful, mellow ginger flavor. It really was some of the best tofu I've had in a while (and we eat a lot of tofu!) We shared the breakfast burrito that included the miso ginger tofu with black beans and avocado.  The green around the side of the plate is some salad with crumbled kale chips.


And here's the scramble on its own, with a side of black beans, kale, and some brown rice. This was so incredibly tasty and satisfying without being the least bit heavy.


To go with my breakfast I ordered the appropriately named Ambrosia Elixir. It was a mixture of young coconut, raw cacao, goji berries, almond butter, and a little agave. Incredible!


Sun in Bloom also offers plenty of things to go:

Green juices, Zen Citrus, lemonade and other juices

Vegan raw cheesecake!

Raw sandwiches & wraps


I couldn't resist the raw cheesecake, so we got a slice of the blueberry to take home for later. The crust had a nice coconut flavor, and the filling was wonderfully smooth, not too sweet, and full of fresh blueberries. What a perfect summer dessert. Actually, what a perfect dessert for anytime!


Sun in Bloom
460 Bergen St.
Brooklyn, NY 11217

5 comments:

  1. OMG, I used to live on 547 Bergen St.! I miss Brooklyn... And this place looks amazing. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place looks amazing! I'll have to add it to the list next time I'm in NYC. You're so lucky it's in your 'hood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! What a nice surprise to have a cool place like this. Better late than never right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joan and I just stopped in for the first time a few weeks back - We're about 80% raw vegan and the food here is just wonderful! Great Job Amy!! And thats Raw Blueberry Cheesecake??! I gotta get me some o' that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cheese cake has such a beautiful colour!

    ReplyDelete