Friday, July 2, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Tofu Pudding


Is there any better combo than chocolate & peanut butter? I've been sitting here trying to think of a better flavor combo, and I'm just not coming up with anything. Nope, chocolate & peanut butter is pretty much as good as it gets.

Last week I had some houseguests staying at our place, and they were rather terrified of vegan food, and tofu in particular. My friend Brian over at A Thought for Food suggested this recipe for Mark Bittman's Mexican Chocolate Tofu Pudding. It looked really tasty and easy to make, so I tried it out, and it was a huge hit, even for the tofu-phobes. The look on their faces when I told them it was tofu after they'd already scarfed down most of their servings was priceless.

The Mexican chocolate recipe is divine, and I highly recommend you try it out. The silken tofu gives it an amazingly smooth and creamy texture, and the hint of cinnamon and chili powder adds just the perfect amount of spice to the chocolate. This will definitely become one of my standby recipes when we have guests over.

But I wanted to tinker with the recipe, of course, so I came up with this peanut butter variation. It's basically the exact same recipe, minus the spices, plus peanut butter, but I'll print it below for you anyway. The smooth peanut butter only adds to the creaminess of the texture. I guarantee you'll be licking your spoon and dishes clean.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Tofu Pudding
makes 6 servings

3/4 cup sugar
1 pound silken tofu
8 ounces high-quality bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup natural peanut butter, smooth
Soy whipped cream (optional)
Chocolate shavings (optional)


1. In a small pot, combine sugar with 3/4 cup water; bring to a boil and cook until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.

2. Put all ingredients except for soy whipped cream and chocolate shavings in a blender and purée until completely smooth, stopping machine to scrape down its sides if necessary. Divide among 6 ramekins and chill for at least one hour. If you like, garnish with soy whipped cream and/or chocolate shavings before serving.

10 comments:

  1. Wow that looks amazing. So decadent and creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rediscovered silken tofu-based chocolate desserts this week. Don't know how I'd forgotten about them. I mean, protein plus chocolate? Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! This sounds yummy. I am marking this one for when I come back from my trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogged this at Vegan.com.

    Wonderful stuff, and I love your blog.

    I guess Pink Floyd was wrong: if you don't eat your meat, you can so have some pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Erik! And I always love a good Pink Floyd reference ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah. That sounds so good. I mean, sometimes I just take chunks of dark chocolate and use it to dip in my peanut butter. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family has always been wary of my vegan cooking, so this might be an awesome recipe for me to try out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. just made this and WOW it's delicious! super-easy, and i already had all the ingredients on hand. perfect - thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाJune 26, 2011 at 9:36 PM

    This looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete