Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Return of the Blossoms: Zucchini Blossom Pizza


This past weekend I made zucchini blossoms for the first time, stuffing them full of cheesy goodness and frying them. Fortunately I had some leftover blossoms to work with, so I made one of my favorite vegan good things: a cornmeal-crust pizza. I don't normally put zucchini on pizzas...I don't know why, because I love zucchini and I love pizza, but they don't necessarily need to go together, you know? But maybe I've been missing out because I really loved this zucchini pizza, with its one-two punch of fresh zucchini slices and zucchini blossoms. Another thing? The word "zucchini" starts to look really weird the more you type it. Zucchini zucchini zucchini.

Anyway, here is my super fast, easy, and delicious Zucchini Blossom Pizza. Here's a big tip: you can either make your own cornmeal crust, per my recipe, OR you can save yourself just a teensy bit of work and buy the frozen cornmeal pizza crusts from Whole Foods. Here's a secret: I buy them all the time, and they're awesome. In the 8 minutes you save from not kneading the dough, you can do something else productive, like drink a martini.

Zucchini Blossom Pizza
serves two people

1 cornmeal crust (homemade or frozen)
about 1/2 cup of your favorite pizza sauce
2 lg. cloves garlic, minced
1 sm. zucchini, sliced thinly
salt and pepper, to taste
6-8 fresh zucchini blossoms
about 1/4 cup Daiya Mozzarella shreds
fresh basil for garnish, coarsely torn or chiffonade

1. Preheat oven to 450. Spread sauce over pizza crust. I like a lot of sauce, but you don't want too much or else your crust will get soggy. Sprinkle garlic over sauce.

2. Arrange zucchini slices over sauce. Salt and pepper to taste. Note: I happened to have some leftover sauteed onions and mushrooms in my fridge, so I threw those in under the zucchini layer. Feel free to add any additional pizza toppings you like. Go crazy!


3. Arrange blossoms over zucchini slices, like so:

4. Top with Daiya cheese and some fresh basil.


5. Bake at 450 for about 15 minutes, until cheese has melted on top. Before serving, add some more fresh basil.

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Just Brilliant! Now I need to get my hands on some zucchini blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks really good. I think I have some zucchini blossoms in the garden too. Sorry "Food for Thought" - I don't think I have enough to share. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the most amazing pizza I've ever seen. I wish I had access to those blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pizza looks beautiful and it's definitely not a topping I would have thought to try!

    ReplyDelete