Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Time to Make the (Vegan Maple-Glazed) Donuts!


Who doesn't love donuts? I might not sell my soul for a donut, but for a dozen? Maybe. I definitely have a weak spot for a good vegan donut. You might remember that a few months ago I won the Dunkin' Cruelty contest with my Chai-Spiced Vegan Donut creation, but I just came up with the flavor, I didn't have to actually make them. The amazing Vegan Treats bakery actually brought my Chai-Spiced donuts to life. And then of course Babycakes makes some vegan donuts that are just to-die-for, which is where I usually go in the city if I'm needing a vegan donut fix. But one thing that Babycakes doesn't offer is... a vegan maple-glazed bacon donut.

The maple bacon donut craze apparently started with the Bacon Maple Bar from the famous Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland, of which even Anthony Bourdain is a big fan. The idea to make a vegan version was actually suggested to me by my friend Jenn from Cookin' Vegan, who was dreaming up new uses for my Coconut Bacon recipe. That lady is a genius, I tell you.

I'd never made donuts before, but I found this quick instructional video very helpful. Also incredibly helpful was the fact that the lovely Melisser from The Urban Housewife (and author of The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life) posted this recipe for Lolo's Baked Vegan Donuts on her site. It was absolutely perfect as is, I didn't tweak a thing. It was the perfect base for my maple glaze or for any type of topping you'd like.

So here's where I'm honest and tell you that the coconut bacon on the donuts was a bit overwhelming. The smoky flavor of the bacon was just a little too overpowering, it didn't blend harmoniously with the other flavors. The taste I was going for was when you have a bite of tempeh bacon or soy sausage together with your waffles/pancakes, but instead it was a little more like eating a maple donut by a campfire. The good news is that these maple-glazed donuts were incredibly awesome on their own, and with more traditional toppings, like sprinkles. So feel free to add the coconut bacon if you want, or don't, I won't get mad.

Vegan Maple-Glazed Donuts
makes 8 donuts

For donuts: (recipe from The Urban Housewife)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 shake of cinnamon
1/2 cup soymilk
1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Egg replacer equivalent for 1 egg
4 Tbsp. Earth Balance or other vegan margarine

1. Preheat oven to 350º F. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients with a whisk to mix thoroughly.

2. In a small saucepan, combine wet ingredients over medium low heat & mix until margarine is melted. You should be able to stick your finger in the mixture without burning yourself. Don't make this too hot for the dough!

3. Add wet to dry & mix until just combined, forming a soft spongy dough. Using a tablespoon measure, scoop out dough into an ungreased nonstick donut pan & smooth out the tops of them. If using a regular sized donut pan (like I did), fill them until just below the rim. Make sure not to overfill them or they'll have uneven muffin tops. If you under fill them, they'll be skimpy, but still edible.


4. Bake them for 12-14 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Invert the hot pan over a cooling rack to release the donuts & allow them to cool completely before decorating.

I might have filled these just a wee bit too much. The underside shouldn't have "muffin tops."

 But the topside looks pretty darn perfect.


For topping:
3 Tbsp. maple sugar
2 Tbsp. non-dairy creamer
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
Coconut bacon (optional)
Sprinkles (optional)

1. Add maple sugar and creamer to small saucepan over very low heat. Whisk until sugar dissolves (this will happen very quickly).

2. When maple crystals have dissolved, add powdered sugar and continue to whisk over low heat, breaking up any lumps, until mixture is completely smooth. Remove from heat and use to glaze donuts immediately.

3. Dip top half of donut into maple glaze, then transfer to a wire rack with a baking sheet underneath, so excess glaze & toppings can drip through. If using coconut bacon, sprinkles, or other toppings, you can either dip the still-wet donut glaze-side down into the toppings, then transfer to the wire rack, or you can dip the donuts into the glaze, transfer to the rack, and throw the toppings on top. That's what I did. You will probably have to press the toppings down a little into the glaze to help them stick. Either way, make sure you quickly add the toppings before the glaze hardens. Pour yourself a cup of coffee/tea/chai and enjoy!


Topped with Coconut Bacon.


8 comments:

  1. They look fantastic!

    I've made those donuts before but I de-glutened them and they were a bit fluffy and not as donutty. Plus I don't have a donut pan, I must correct this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're beautiful!!! I'm sorry that the coconut bacon part didn't quite work out, but I'll take a maple glazed donut with sprinkles any day. You're photos are beautiful and I'm seriously considering donuts for dinner ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word, these look great! I added a donut pan on my amazon wishlist. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. These look absolutely fabulous! I keep meaning to buy a donut pan, and this is the perfect excuse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that recipe! I use it all the time, and frequently tweak it to make things like cardamom donuts with rosewater glaze and pistachios, lemon with blueberry glaze, etc. I was planning to make some apple cider and pumpkin ones this week, but I think I'll give maple a try too. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that I found your blog through the Food blog challenge (hope you make it all the way!!!) b/c I need this donut recipe. You saved me!!! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Cookin' Vegan ^^^^^, I HAD donuts for dinner (these donuts!) & they were everything that I remembered donuts to be (not just pre-vegan, but from when I was a child, back when donut shops truly existed & donuts weren't trucked in from a factory). I am also a self admitted donut fiend & these totally fed my addiction! Thank you, Leinana! They're going in "the book."

    PS. The video was most helpful! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाJune 26, 2011 at 9:34 PM

    Omg those vegan donuts look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete