Monday, October 18, 2010

Mexican Pizza With Homemade Seitan Chorizo


I've been craving pizza lately. Not that there's ever a bad time to eat pizza, but something about the crisp fall air makes me crave a nice hearty pizza. And beer. Pizza and beer. Spicy pizza and beer. Oh yeah.

I've been meaning to make a Mexican pizza for some time now and I knew that I wanted to top it with a spicy sausage. I'm a huge fan of the Field Roast Mexican Chipotle sausages, and the Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo isn't bad, but when my friend Wendy told me that she had a recipe for homemade seitan chorizo, well there was no question. I had to make my own. And lucky for you folks, she said I could share her recipe here.

The directions for Wendy's chorizo really couldn't be any easier, and it is addictively good. The hardest part is waiting for it to finish cooking, because it smells so mouth-wateringly delicious. And I am extremely happy to report that it actually packs quite a punch! I wanted something really spicy, and I got it. It's not for the faint of heart or palate. But if you like spicy food, as I do, then you will love this stuff.

I also made pickled red onions to go on top of the pizza, but other than the time it takes to make the chorizo and the onions, everything else comes together pretty instantly. Although you could use any type of crust, I really recommend a cornmeal crust for this pizza. It's so hearty and delicious, and just really goes well with these types of toppings. You could make my Cornmeal Crust recipe, but I would leave out the herbs if you do so, or you could buy frozen cornmeal crusts from Whole Foods. Go ahead. I won't tell.


Mexican Pizza With Homemade Seitan Chorizo
makes one 9" pizza (2 servings)

1 cornmeal crust (homemade or frozen)
1/2 cup of your favorite pizza sauce
sliced black olives
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced with seeds removed
1/2 batch of Wendy's homemade chorizo (recipe below), cut into small cubes
Daiya or other vegan cheddar cheese
vegan sour cream
pickled red onions (I made a 1/2 batch of this recipe)
sliced fresh avocado
*Note: I'm not giving exact amounts for the pizza toppings. Use as much or as little as you like. Go crazy!

1. Preheat oven to 450. Top your crust with sauce, sliced jalapenos, and sliced olives.


2. Sprinkle chorizo cubes over pizza, then top with cheddar cheese.



3. Bake on pizza stone (recommended) or a crisper for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Top with dollops of sour cream, pickled red onions, slices of fresh avocado, and cilantro. Pour yourself a Mexican beer and enjoy!



Wendy's Seitan Chorizo


1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
2 TB nutritional yeast
2 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp fine sea salt (or kosher)
1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
3 TB water
1 TB apple cider vinegar
2 TB ketchup
1 TB canola

1. Preheat oven to 325. In a large mixing bowl, mix all of your dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk all of your liquid ingredients together.

2. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix well. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes, it should be elastic and spongy. Let it rest while you clean your hands and prep your pans.
3. Put a glass loaf pan into the center of a brownie pan or roaster (2" sides) and fill the outer pan about half way full with water.
4. Now form your dough into a loaf (about 7" - 8" long) and wrap it tightly in aluminum foil, twisting the ends. Place the wrapped loaf inside of the dry glass loaf pan and bake it for 90 minutes. I recommend turning it after 60 minutes (this method won't give it a thick crust, but I like it to cook as evenly as possible). Also be sure to check the water level. If it evaporates, then you're looking at crusty city.
5. When it's done, unwrap and let it cool completely. After cooling, you can re-wrap it in plastic or foil (or store in a tightly sealed container, recommended) and store it in the refrigerator for when you're ready to use it. It also freezes well so if you don't use it up in about 5 days or so, divide it into portions and store it in the freezer.

8 comments:

  1. Yes please! Like I said, I still feel like eating pizza. I had plain old salad, rice and broccoli tonight. I need and want pizza. This looks great. I would have voted for your pizza post! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chorizo on pizza sounds awesome! Thank you for sharing your friend's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why have I never had Mexican pizza before? It sounds (and looks) fabulous... especially with beer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love good vegan pizza, and this looks like GREAT vegan pizza! It's genius to make Mexican Pizza on a cornmeal crust, genius. I can't wait to try Wendy's chorizo recipe, and this pizza is the perfect use for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness that pizza look gorgeous. I'm so glad I found your blog :)

    Thanks for the complements on the hair cut and recipe. I hope you find something close when you're in the Big Easy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all looks sooo good! I'm just catching up a bit on the blog since it has been a while. That statement being a blanket statement for your site. Thanks for posting Wendy's recipe. Looking forward to trying it since the store bought ones are good, but not great. If I know Wendy this is great! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me and my boyfriend must have been channeling you! He made this almost exact same pizza for a potluck last Friday!! But we went with enchilada sauce instead of pizza sauce and used Teese (and were lazy and bought seitan). Great minds think alike :)

    ReplyDelete