Monday, November 29, 2010

A Holiday Breakfast for Lazy Mornings: Soynog French Toast with Cranberry Sauce


We're taking the day off from work. We had a nice long Thanksgiving weekend, capped off with an incredibly long, slightly treacherous hike in New Paltz yesterday. This morning we were feeling slightly sore and lazy, and wanted another day to continue basking in the holiday cheer.

This recipe is for lazy mornings because I didn't actually have to do much work. I bought this French Toast mix from Cosmo's Vegan Shoppe and was excited to test it out. It's a mix of brown rice and garbanzo bean flours, baking powder, egg replacer, and leavening, but also has maple sugar and vanilla powder to give it a wonderful flavor. I simply followed the instructions on the package, but used Silk Soy Nog as my non-dairy milk. This Soy Nog is one of my favorite things. I get ridiculously excited every year when it finally comes out. The delightful combination of the maple, vanilla, and eggnog aromas was almost enough to make me start singing Christmas carols in the kitchen. I said almost, because I can't stand Christmas music.



As you can see, this French Toast mix really fries up and browns nicely in the pan, just like "regular" French Toast would. To serve, I sprinkled a little powdered sugar on top, gave it a dollop of some cranberry sauce, and of course a drizzle of maple syrup. Yummy.


6 comments:

  1. Yum, yum, and yum. You're lazy day breakfasts are vastly more inspired than mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great way to start out the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love that this is so simple. I can totally appreciate this. Thanks again for another delicious one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about droolworthy..I can't find the nog in Pittsburgh! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete