Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Let's Lighten Things Up a Bit: Roasted Sweet Potato, Walnut, & Pomegranate Salad


I have a confession. I still haven't posted my traditional sweet potato casserole dish, topped with Sweet & Sara mini marshmallows, but to be honest, I don't know if I'm going to get to that this year. I've been eating Thanksgiving food for at least a month now, and I never thought I'd say this, but I'm kind of reaching my rich, Thanksgiving food limit. I'm craving something lighter and healthier.

It might also surprise you to know that despite having thrown a Thanksgiving feast at our place for 10-12 friends for the past three years, we've decided to take this year off (gasp!) and let someone else do the cooking for us. Yep, I won't be slaving away for days, spending hundreds of dollars, to serve the big meal this year. I'm tired. We've made our reservations at Angelica Kitchen, which will be serving their special Thanksgiving prix fixe menu, and I couldn't be more thrilled. I will certainly post photos of our meal there.

That said, I still wanted to share this recipe for a roasted sweet potato salad with you. It is, quite simply, the prettiest salad I've ever made. It is also full of flavor and would be a perfect salad course for Thanksgiving. It is possible to serve sweet potatoes without the marshmallows on top, you know?

I clipped this recipe out of a NY Magazine a few years ago, and it stuck in my mind for its beautiful simplicity.

Salad of Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Walnuts, and Pomegranates
from Chef Charleen Badman, published in NY Magazine

For Salad:
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 handfuls arugula
2 handfuls frisée
1/2 cup toasted walnut pieces
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds

For Dressing:
1 large shallot, peeled and diced
1/3 cup champagne vinegar
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1. Wash and peel sweet potatoes and cut into one-inch pieces. Toss with thyme and olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
2. Roast sweet potatoes in a pre-heated 350-degree oven for twenty minutes or until light brown and soft when pierced with a fork.
3. To prepare dressing, soak shallots and a pinch of salt in champagne vinegar for five minutes. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Season to taste.
4. After potatoes have roasted, they may be combined warm or cold with greens, walnuts, and dressing. Season and garnish with pomegranate seeds.

3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious and perfect for me, because I hate sweet potatoes with marshmallows :) Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete