Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Who Needs Homemade When You Have a Stuffed Hazelnut Cranberry Roast En Croute?


This is my final taste test before the big T-day, and I purposely saved it for last. It's the Field Roast Stuffed Hazelnut Cranberry Roast En Croute, and doesn't the name alone make your mouth water?

Described on the Field Roast site as "a sumptious rich grain meat seasoned with toasted hazelnuts and rosemary stuffed with a sausage style mixture of Field Roast, cranberries, apples, and crystalized ginger. Wrapped en croute with a rich vegan puff pastry, it is perfect as a center piece for a delicious, gourmet holiday meal." They had me at "puff pastry." Swoon!

As a huge fan of all the Field Roast products I have tasted thus far, I had high expectations for this roast, and was not disappointed. I absolutely love the savoriness of "meat," together with the subtle sweetness of the fruits and ginger. It is hearty enough to feel indulgent, but also elegant enough to serve at any holiday feast. I dare any omnivore to not want to devour this delicious vegan creation. I dare them!

About a month after I first met my now-husband, we spent our first Thanksgiving together. I remember that we bought a Tofurky Feast, complete with the gravy and the dumplings... is it true that they swapped the dumplings for chocolate cake now? Anyway, this was six years ago, and as I remember it, the Tofurky Feast was pretty much the only veggie option that I knew of then. It's amazing to me how many incredible vegan options we have readily available nowadays. It's a good time to be a vegan. And for that I am deeply thankful.

That said, this Field Roast En Croute is by far my favorite of all the holiday special products I have tried. If you still haven't decided on your vegan main course for Thursday, then you should run out immediately to get one of these. As for me, I'm one step ahead of you, because I'm already thinking about how I'm going to eat the leftovers...


3 comments:

  1. I had this for Thanksgiving dinner too, and several meals of leftovers and it was indeed delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is great, the writting and photography accompany each other very well (both very well done)...and the receipes all look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete