Friday, December 31, 2010

Vegan Good Things: Best of 2010

I really can't believe it's the last day of 2010. It's been an incredible year in a lot of ways, mostly due to all the good things that came into my life this year, in large part due to the connections I've made through this blog. It was a year in which I made so many new friends, attended some very fun and exciting events, and had plenty of good things to eat. So many, in fact, that it was also the year I finally joined a gym.

Looking back on my Vegan Foodie Resolution for 2010, however, I'm somewhat dismayed at how few of the items I accomplished. Here's a summary of how I did:

1. Stop collecting cookbooks and start testing recipes from the ones I have already! Well, I certainly did test quite a lot of recipes from my vast collection of cookbooks, but I didn't slow down my cookbook collecting habit at all. In fact, I added many new cookbooks to my collection this year, my favorite of which has to be Chef Tal Ronnen's The Conscious Cook, which gave me two of my all-time favorite recipes for Celery Root Soup with Granny Smith Apples and the now famous Oven Roasted Banana Rum Cheesecake with Spiced Pecan Crust & Maple Rum Sauce. Resolution for 2011: buy new bookshelves?

2. Eat more beets. This I actually did manage to accomplish. I thoroughly enjoyed the beets I ate at a friend's house for dinner, they were steamed and dressed simply with olive oil and lots of fresh dill. I also really enjoyed these Beet & Brown Rice Burgers that I made with a recipe from Veggie Burgers Every Which Way. I like beets now, but I still don't love them.

3. Eat more raw food. I'd give myself a C on this one. We do eat more raw food, but beyond salads I really don't make much raw food at home. This I will definitely improve upon in 2011. I am now armed with a new (and I'm ashamed to admit, still unused) fancy Excalibur food dehydrator as well as Ani Phyo's Raw Food Essentials and Raw Food Desserts. So expect lots of raw food posts in 2011!

4. Have dinner at 4 Course Vegan. I am so ashamed I didn't manage to do this this year. What can I say? I'm not good at planning ahead. I did, however, manage to make it to an incredible Gracious Gourmand dinner, where we enjoyed many delectable creations by Chef Ayinde Howell. So 4 Course Vegan will go back on my list again for 2011, as well as one of the Nasturtium dinner parties. So many amazing vegan dinners in Brooklyn to go to!

5. Compete as a chef at a Veggie Conquest. Oops. Didn't do this one either. I'm scared, to be honest. We did attend another Veggie Conquest as eaters, and were very impressed by the food that people (my potential future competitors) presented. I'm still working up the courage to do this in 2011. I believe that my cooking skills might have improved enough over the past year to be able to not completely humiliate myself.

I will post my complete Vegan Foodie Resolution for 2011 tomorrow, but for now let's just reflect on my Top 5 favorite posts of the year. These are my favorites either because they got the biggest response from the commenters & Tweeters, and/or simply because they were my favorite things to eat. I truly hope you've enjoyed my posts this year, and I can't tell you how excited I am for all the posts to come in the new year.

5. Eat Your Brussels Sprouts! Who knew that there were so many brussels sprout lovers out there? This is still my absolute favorite way to eat them. The combination of maple, soy, Sriracha, and lime is just finger-licking good.


4. Chocolate Peanut Butter Tofu Pudding. This recipe is so easy to make, and so worthwhile. This will make even the biggest tofu-phobes lick their spoons clean and ask for more.


3. What You're Craving Now: Vegan Pad See-Ew. You guys love Thai food. You really, really love it. I do too, so expect to see a LOT more Thai recipes in 2011. I've got a long list of Thai recipes I'm working out, so get your bellies ready.


2. The Greatest Cheesecake Recipe of All Time, Ever. From the above-mentioned Tal Ronnen cookbook, this cheesecake has wowed everyone to whom I served it. It is my favorite cheesecake and has become my standby recipe for all entertaining needs. It's so good that I think it has ruined me for any other cheesecake recipes. Quite simply, it is a perfect dessert.



And the winner is crowned...drum roll please...

1. By Popular Demand: Coconut Bacon! This post sparked a veritable coconut bacon craze. It united vegans and bacon lovers... basically leading to world peace. If you haven't yet made this coconut bacon, MAKE IT NOW. With some Vegenaise, lettuce, and tomato, this makes the world's greatest BLT. It's salty, smoky, crunchy, and good, and just thinking about it is making my mouth water. So Happy New Year's everybody! Now I've got to go whip up a new batch of coconut bacon!

2 comments:

  1. I lovelovelove my dehydrator. Just yesterday I did turnip and apple chips, trying out tofu jerky today!
    I bet beets would make great chips sprinkled with sea salt and rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, tofu jerky sounds great! And I agree, beet chips with sea salt & rosemary sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete