Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Winter Comfort Food: A Hearty Beefless Stew


I hate being cold. As many years as I've been living in NY, I never get used to the freezing cold winters. My goal in life is to be able to use the word "winter" as a verb, as in, "I'm going to winter in Anguilla this year."

That said, with it having turned bitterly cold already, I've been eating a lot of hearty, warming soups and stews. I came across this recipe from The Conscious Cook himself, Tal Ronnen, on Gardein's website. The original recipe uses Gardein Beefless Tips, which I'm sure are amazing, but I didn't have any of those on hand so I used seitan. Really the only thing I did differently was add some soy sauce and extra seasonings, because the seitan wasn't preseasoned like the Beefless Tips would be.

The resulting stew was hearty, flavorful, and "eats like a meal." The wine simmered with the vegetable stock really gives it an extra rich depth of flavor, and besides, who doesn't love any recipe that includes wine?

Beefless Stew
serves 4-6

12 oz. seitan
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
10 oz. pearl onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, 1/2 inch diced
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
pinch red pepper flakes, optional
3 Tbsp. flour
3 cups vegan "beef" broth, or vegetable broth
1 cup dry red wine
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 medium potatoes, 1/2 inch diced
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium high heat, add seitan and brown on all sides. Remove from saucepan and set aside.

2. Add pearl onions, garlic and celery to saucepan and cook for 3 minutes. Add carrots, thyme, rosemary, and red pepper flakes and continue to cook for 3 minutes.

3. Sprinkle in flour, then slowly add broth, wine, and soy sauce while stirring.

4. Add potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

5. Add seitan back in and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful. I have some homemade beefy seitan chunks that I've been saving for some stew, this one would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That DOES look hearty. I have been wanting to make stew or soup but have not had a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, the red wine and rosemary are a nice touch. I'll have to keep this in mind for this winter.

    ReplyDelete