Saturday, January 29, 2011

Happy Vegan Pizza Day!


It's Vegan Pizza Day! In my house, every day is Vegan Pizza Day, although I confess we don't observe it every single day. But some geniuses went and made it an official day, so hopefully you have the day off from work to properly celebrate, and by celebrate I mean stuff your face with some delicious vegan pizza!

I have some favorite homemade pizzas. First, there's the Two Moons Special, our beloved creation of Shitake Mushrooms on a Cornmeal Crust.


Then there's the close second runner-up, my Mexican Pizza with Homemade Seitan Chorizo:


I've even made a Zucchini Blossom Pizza:


And this quick Mushroom & Sausage Pizza, inspired by Pala, one of our favorite places to get vegan pizza in the city:

But in honor of Vegan Pizza Day, we wanted to do something new. I decided on making two different pizzas, both with gluten-free crusts that I made from a Bob's Red Mill mix. I found the gluten-free crusts to be slightly chewier than the normal kind, but not unpleasantly so. I would definitely make them again.

The first pizza was a classic Veggie Lover's pizza because, you know, I love the veggies. Simply topped with organic pizza sauce, mushrooms, red pepper, artichoke hearts, fresh garlic, black olives, and Mozzarella Teese. It would have been good with some spinach on there too, but I didn't have any, so whatever. I didn't reinvent the wheel or anything with this one, but it was really, really good, and more than satisfied our pizza craving.

Veggie Lover's before going in the oven...
And after! Delicious!
The second pizza, a Pesto Potato one, was a little experimental for me. I made a homemade pesto with fresh basil, pine nuts, vegan Parmesan, garlic, and olive oil. I cut a potato into some very thin slices, sprinkled them with salt, and soaked them in cold water for about an hour before draining and patting dry. The potato slices went on top of the pesto sauce, then I topped with fresh garlic, fresh thyme & rosemary, and just a small amount of the Mozzarella Teese. 

Fresh from the oven!

The result was a hearty, flavorful pizza. The potatoes got just lightly crisped, and the flavors from the fresh pesto and fresh herbs on top really complemented each other.  I was glad I didn't put too much cheese on this one, because it might have become too heavy, but as it was it was a perfect winter pie. And the best part is that with the leftovers, I can hereby declare January 30th the official Vegan Pizza for Breakfast Day.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so hungry now! The Two Moons Special and Pesto Potato look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're the vegan pizza queen! love potato pizza too- they seriously all look like they would be magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The potato pizza makes you the most genius pizza maker ever- omg, I heart vegan pizza day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Potato on pizza is genius, isnt it?! I love the sound of that zuccini blossom pizza...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you'll come by and share one of your recipes at one of my blog party link-ups soon. I have two this week. Today's Sunday Brunch shares breakfast, brunch and lunch recipes HERE.

    For Vegan/Meatless Mondays we'll be sharing Meatless Mains. You can see more information about that party, HERE.

    Hope to see you there soon!

    Kristi @
    Veggie Converter

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh! This girl had cold/flu, but I lived vicariously through everyone's tweets, posts, and photos. Thank you so much for sharing :D I have to show my hubby. He's the pizza "freak"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These all look so amazing, I want to make pizza related anything right now. Oh my gosh. Mexican pizza is at the top of my list. Why haven't I thought of that?! Splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful breakfast pizza! I never thought it, what a great idea...and your images are perfect! Family Restaurant

    ReplyDelete