Monday, January 17, 2011

More Urban Vegan-ing!

I know I haven't posted many new recipes or homemade dishes lately, but that doesn't mean I haven't been busy in my kitchen. On the contrary, I have been quite busy testing more recipes for The Urban Vegan's next cookbook. I think when you see what you're going to get, you'll be as excited as I am for her book to come out. Here's another sneak preview:

Old Bay Cakes. Reminiscent of Maryland-style crab cakes, these are tofu-based and manage to be crisp on the outside, and flavorful and juicy on the inside. They were delicious to eat on their own, but would also be great on a sandwich with some vegan tartar or remoulade sauce.

Jambalaya. You probably already know how much I love Cajun & Creole cuisine, as I've made my own étouffée, gumbo, and "shrimp" and grits in the past. The Urban Vegan's recipe for jambalaya was a dish after my own heart, with just the right balance of spiciness, tempeh bacon, and vegan chorizo.

Spicy Seitan "Wings" with Cumin-Harissa Dipping Sauce. Admittedly my wings look more like nuggets than wings, but either way they are just the right size for dipping into this addictively spicy Vegenaise-based sauce.

Fig-Pecan Stuffed Acorn Squash. What a perfect autumn dish. The agave-sweetened fruit and nut mixture is a perfect contrast to the buttery savoriness of the roasted squash. This would be a welcome addition to any Thanksgiving menu.

Kale with Raisins and Chana Dal (Yellow Split Peas). Bursting with flavor despite a deceptively short ingredient list, this is a tasty side dish or could make a light meal served over rice, quinoa, or any grain of your choice.

Kheer (Indian Rice Pudding). Rice pudding is such an easy and comforting dessert. Cardamom makes this delicious and fragrant, and the slivered almonds, pistachios, and raisins add additional flavor as well as texture. This was a simple yet very elegant dish.

There will still be some more testing to come, so stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. I will have to try those Old Bay cakes. These all sound delicious. I love rice pudding, too. I will have to try it w/ cardamom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the "wings" look especially great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hooked me with that rice pudding. Holy cow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I've got to get back to testing- that pudding looks divine.

    ReplyDelete