Monday, January 24, 2011

My Weekend Eats: More Good Things from The Urban Vegan

Happy Monday everyone. It's a whopping 13°F here in New York today, so to combat my winter-induced grumpiness I'm going to tantalize your taste buds with photos of all the good stuff I made this weekend, yet again thanks to recipes I'm currently testing for The Urban Vegan. Rest assured, I will soon be back to posting my own original recipes and will be busily veganizing other recipes I find elsewhere, but for now, feast your eyes on these goodies:

Island-Style Tempeh. This tempeh was marinaded in a mixture of fresh chopped pineapple, orange and lime juice, garlic, chili sauce, and a blend of spices. It managed to stay moist and tender, and the marinade sauce was fresh, tangy sweet, and delicious. I served it over some cinnamon-spiced sweet potatoes and steamed kale. Delicious!

Lemon Tartelette. Lemon desserts are my favorite. I will choose lemon over chocolate any day. (Sorry, chocolate.) This lemon tart was just perfect - a delicate balance of sweetness and tartness, with a homemade pastry crust. We ate these for dessert and then, um, for breakfast too. Don't judge.

Asparagus-Filled Crêpes with Hollandaise Sauce. Crêpes! I've had kind of a crazy craving for crêpes for a while now, so I was thrilled to see a crêpe recipe pop up on The Urban Vegan's list. This is a classic savory version, filled with asparagus (if you didn't figure that out from the photo above) and topped with a super easy hollandaise sauce made in the blender. Light, delicious, and it made me feel very Frenchy.

Crepes with Bananas and Gianduia (Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread). And more crêpes! It was a crêpe party. Gianduia is a chocolate-hazelnut paste, much like the familiar brand Nutella, but Dynise's version is homemade and, of course, vegan. And what's a better combo than chocolate and hazelnut? Chocolate, hazelnut, and banana, helloooo!

13 comments:

  1. OK Leinana...I am always blown away by the beauty of your food, so in the interest of research and general curiosity, I am going to go vegan for a week using recipes and ideas from your blog. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY Tony!!! You can do it. I think you will find that it is much easier and MUCH more enjoyable than you expect it to be. Keep me posted on what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Anthony, but you won't need it if you making Leinana's yumilicious food! The crepes look scrumptious,yum, must get back to testing & make those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I eat pie for breakfast, so no judging here. Everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, Leinana...maybe you guys should make another trip down here to Austin and help me make all these delicious items. Just sayin'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These recipes all look so good! Looks like her cookbook is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! The food looks great!! That tartelette looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at cinammon spiced sweet potatoes. I'm going to need a napkin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos are making me hungry - everything looks super yummy! Sounds like I'm going to have to add Urban Vegan to the long list of cookbooks I need to check out.
    And, fyi, you're totally not the only one here eating pie for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That lemon tartelette looks fantastic. Also, I saw a mention of hollandaise sauce today and wondered what it tasted like, having gone vegan before being old or classy enough to know or care about that kind of thing. I'm glad to know there are vegan versions about!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi!
    I'm looking for some cheap eats in NYC (don't have to be vegan only)
    Are you free Tuesday the 22nd?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Micah! I am free the 22nd - I'm going to message you. :)

    ReplyDelete