Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Urban Vegan is Keeping Me Busy.


Testing recipes for her forthcoming cookbook, that is! If you own a copy of The Urban Vegan, then you'll know why I'm so excited for Dynise's newest (as yet untitled) cookbook to come out. And even more exciting is the fact that I'm one of her recipe testers, so I'm getting previews of all the great stuff that will be included. I can tell you that most of the recipes I've seen so far are fast, easy, budget-friendly, and of course, delicious! I'm going to be testing a lot more recipes for her over the coming weeks, but here are photos of what I have tested so far... consider it a sneak peek at what you can look forward to when you get your own copy of her latest!

Pear Tarte Tatin. Delicious, flaky crust. Warm, caramelized, spiced pears. Perfect with a scoop of So Delicious Vanilla Bean ice cream!

Seitan with Quince, Apple, and Onion. Sweet and savory, with a unique and aromatic blend of spices. A warming, hearty stew-type dish, perfect for a winter night.

Ethiopian Collard Greens with Mini Injeras. I love, love, love Ethiopian food and was so excited to test this recipe. These collards are spicy and loaded with flavor. And injera is easier to make than you may think! I also made some Berbere-spiced red lentils (mesir wat) to go with these, what a delicious dinner!

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic pics! I need to post ours too. Testing is fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so delicious! Especially those collard greens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking yummy! I made the collards greens too but my injera did not fare that well...which lentil recipe did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made my lentils by trial & error - sauteed some minced onion, garlic, & tomato, then added the Berbere, then kept cooking the lentils down until they were thick and stewy. They turned out pretty good in the end, but I'm going to have to work on the recipe a bit before I can post it!

    ReplyDelete