Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Dun-Well Vegan Doughnut Party Done Right!

I mentioned recently that there was going to be a launch party at Moo Shoes tonight for Dun-Well Doughnuts, a brand new company making all-vegan all-delicious yeast-raised doughnuts here in NY. Well I just got back from that party, and boy oh boy was it spectacular. A huge congratulations is in order for these guys and their epic doughnut launch party.

In NY, for the non-vegan doughnut lover, it's all about the Doughnut Plant, in terms of quality and variety of flavors. I even have a friend who paid, I swear, $100 in shipping costs alone to have a dozen from the Doughnut Plant overnight mailed to him in San Francisco (*cough* Antoinne *cough*). And all you vegan Portlanders (Portlandese?) out there have your Voodoo Doughnut shop, which has inspired a great deal of jealousy in me. Well now vegan NY'ers have their own specialty doughnuts that are fully worth bragging about, and that will be the cause of envy among vegans far and wide.

There are many vegan events held at Moo Shoes, but I have personally never been to one with such an impressive turnout. There was actually a line to get to the doughnuts that ran all the way around the store, then doubled back to snake nearly out the front door. If there is one thing that will get NY'ers out on a slushy winter night, it's free vegan doughnuts apparently. Well, and also ice cream from Lula's and cocktails from the new all-vegan bar Pinebox Rock Shop. That's right, we had vegan doughnuts AND ice cream AND cocktails, 'cause that's how we roll.

But the doughnuts... oh those doughnuts! I got to sample a Peanut Butter & Jelly one and a Root Beer-flavored one. The PB&J, which was jelly-filled with a peanut butter glaze on top, tasted exactly like a PB&J on Wonder bread. I mean that in a good way. It was a very nostalgic kind of flavor, like the PB&J's of my childhood, not like the PB&J's on sprouted whole grain bread of my adulthood, if that makes any sense. It was so good. And the Root Beer doughnut! It tasted so... so root beer-y! I happen to love root beer, it's the one and only type of soda that I will drink on occasion, so I really enjoyed that doughnut too.

Please excuse the terribly blurry pics, I wouldn't usually post such bad ones but my camera was being difficult and they all came out looking kind of crazy.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Doughnut. Brilliant!
Me & Leanne with doughnuts in hand.


With Dan from Dun-Well Doughnuts
In addition to the PB&J and Root Beer flavors, they also had a Lemon Poppyseed that I didn't get to try. Check out their site for additional flavors and also for retail locations. I know they mentioned that they will be available at Boneshakers and Champs Bakery in Williamsburg, and also at Cocoa V, but not sure where else. Now go out & get yourself some vegan doughnuts!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, boo- sad to miss the fun! The donuts look amazing! Must get to Cocoa V asap....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww. I missed you and the doughnuts! Got there super late. Next time I hope. Thanks for the write up! I lived vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for coming to the party and for writing such a great post. We are linking it from our blog :) Cheers
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool!!! These look absolutely amazingly delicious!

    That pic of you & Leanne is too cute! She's brilliant. I love my Vaute Couture coat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a pilgrimage to cocoa v when I heard about these, and I have to say I was so disappointed. They were dry and the texture was off and frankly the donuts were inedible. Please keep trying because a great yeast donut would be so amazing! But they're not there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon - that is too bad! The donuts we sampled at the launch party were really delicious. Very sad to hear that the quality might be inconsistent.

    ReplyDelete