Saturday, February 26, 2011

Oscar Noms #1: Black Forest Swan Cupcakes


Hooray! It's my final Oscar Noms post. I have to confess I don't even usually watch the awards show, but I'm kind of excited this year to see who will be rewarded for their craft. And by that, I mean I'm excited to see what everyone wears on the red carpet.

I saved these for last because Black Swan is my favorite (read: the only one I've seen) of all the nominated Oscar films. These cupcakes might not be as pretty as Natalie Portman in a tutu, but I think they're quite lovely all on their own.

The recipe for these cupcakes comes from the cupcake bible, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. They start with the Basic Chocolate cupcake recipe, which gives you a perfectly chocolatey, moist, rich, but not overly sweet cake, and then are topped with their Fluffy Buttercream Frosting. But what really puts these cupcakes over the top, and makes them "Black Forest" is the Saucy Cherry Filling in the middle of them. I couldn't manage to get a decent photo of the middles, so you'll just have to take my word that while these cupcakes might look like your average chocolate ones, they are hiding a saucy cherry surprise inside.

The cherry filling is made by cooking a bag of frozen cherries with some sugar, arrowroot, and pomegranate juice. I actually found a pomegranate-cherry juice to use, so that maximized the cherry-ness of the recipe. Then you add some kirsch to the cherry mixture after it's thickened. There is also a recipe for a kirsch glaze that you use to brush on top of the cakes before frosting.

You have to cut out a little well from the middle of each cupcake, then add a spoonful of the cherry sauce, some of the buttercream frosting, and then replace the cupcake "tops" before adding more frosting and your garnishes. It's just a little extra work for a lot of extra deliciousness.

These cupcakes are sublime, I mean how can you go wrong with chocolate and cherries? These are fancy enough to eat with a fork, with an extra drizzle of the cherry sauce on top. Fancy enough for the red carpet, even.

7 comments:

  1. I agree - the cupcakes are quite lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look gorgeous! I've made these cupcakes before with great results. VCTOTW is truly the cupcake bible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that cupcake looks amazing! So perfect and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh - Those are adorably perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. pretty damn perfect- love the little napkins as well- how appropos, the red connotes Natalie Portman's blood-shot, stressed eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाJune 17, 2011 at 8:56 PM

    Oh my gosh these vegan cupcakes look so good!!

    ReplyDelete