Monday, March 14, 2011

Don't Kiss Me. I'm Not Irish.


St. Patrick's Day is coming up this week. On this day, Irish-Americans across the nation honor their heritage by consuming the very traditional beverage of beer with green food coloring. I think the green represents the green fields where they grow potatoes, and the beer represents the waters that irrigate the lands so that they never suffer from a potato famine again. Or I might have just made that up.

You'll need some filling, hearty food to soak up all that green beer, so here are a few suggestions from my archives to go with your Irish-themed day:

Vegan Corned "Beef" and Cabbage
Beefless Stew
Vegan Spicy-Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Just remember while merry-making that Guinness beer, though traditional and Irish, is not vegan due to the fact that it contains isinglass, a product that comes from the dried swim bladders of fish, used in the clarification process to remove excess yeast. So if you don't want any fishy swim bladders in your beer, don't drink Guinness. No need to fret though, just check Barnivore for a huge database of vegan-safe beers. Or if beer's not your thing, there's even a recipe for a vegan Bailey's Irish Cream. Sláinte!

6 comments:

  1. So glad you said that about Guinness! I have known that for awhile but always feel like the "vegan police" when I mention it to people. Same with Stella Artois. I have seen lots of people drinking that at vegan happy hour functions & such, and I'll definitely mention its non-vegan status if I know the person, but if not, I feel like a dink being like *dorky nasal voice*, "Ummmm, that's not vegan, you know." ;)

    I am making corned "beef" today, too! Yum! Love your pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drinking swim bladders sounds disgusting! You would think they would have come up with something else to serve that purpose by now! Thanks for the great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would consider being Irish for all the food pics you posted...sneaky isinglass...love Barnivore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't want a kiss from me? How RUDE! ;)
    Food looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd take a kiss from you anytime Melisser! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vegan Baileys?!! Sign me up for summa that!! :-)

    ReplyDelete