Monday, April 11, 2011

Appetite for Reduction's Broiled Blackened Tofu


In my last post I mentioned that I've been trying to eat lighter, healthier, and simpler lately. Mainly I've just been trying to take a small break from the overly processed foods, faux meats, and the like. I love my Gardein and my Field Roast sausages, I really do, but I've just been feeling a need to scale those items back a bit. Recently I've been on a weird kick where pretty much all I want to eat are mashed sweet potatoes and steamed kale. Exciting, I know, hence the lack of blog posts about it. But as you are all aware, vegans are perpetually on the verge of dying from lack of protein (sarcasm), so tonight I had to decide on something protein-packed to eat with my daily fill of sweet potatoes and kale. In my quest to keep it light, simple, and healthy, I reached for my copy of Appetite for Reduction for some inspiration

I'm not trying to lose weight or anything, but Isa's book is really great because the recipes are mostly quick, easy to make, and rely on simple, unprocessed ingredients. Exactly what I'm in the mood for right now. This blackened tofu recipe really appealed to me because of the interesting mix of spices that coat the tofu slices, which are then broiled as opposed to fried, which I admit, tends to be my typical way of cooking tofu. It's a really simple recipe but the result is so much more than the sum of the parts.

The spice mix has a classic cajun flavor profile: paprika, cayenne, oregano, thyme, a few other things I can't remember right now, and minced garlic. For some reason I was a little nervous that the flavors were going to be somehow overpowering - although my fear may have stemmed in part from the fact that I set off not one, but two, of our smoke detectors while making this recipe. But my fears were completely unfounded because the tofu came out tasting slightly smoky, savory, and all the spices were perfectly balanced. It might be my new favorite way to prepare tofu.

Even though I served my tofu with some simple sweet potatoes (mashed with Earth Balance, soy milk, salt, pepper, ground ginger) and steamed kale (with a splash of Bragg's liquid aminos), Isa's book is also really helpful in suggesting other dishes to create a menu. Like, I could have made her Ginger Mashed Sweet Potatoes & Apples, and her Jerk Asparagus, or Pineapple Collards to go with it. Those all sound amazing, don't they? Those will have to go on the menu next time, because I'm already thinking about when to make this Blackened Tofu again.

4 comments:

  1. I am so tempted to go out and buy this book right now. Quick and simple healthy dishes sounds perfect for me, and I love all of Isa's previous works. This sounds like a particularly lovely dish!

    I try to eat healthy stuff most of the time, but I'm a sucker for the processed stuff, too--especially gardein!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang. Looks delicious, but guess I'll wait till I get a vent hood to attempt this one. My smoke alarm is always going off.

    I love the basic tofu from that book. My Omni kid eats that stuff up, too. He can barely wait till it cools before he's eating it. I think I'm going to start making two blocks of it just to have around for sandwiches and salads for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is on my list to make! I love the AFR Hoison Mustard Tofu & even just the Basic Baked Tofu. I think I'll love this too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one simple yet delicious recipe, I love it. Tofu, kale, mmmm ... Great ;)

    ReplyDelete