Monday, July 25, 2011

Indian-Spiced Fresh Mango Sorbet with Grilled Pineapple & Coconut


Chances are, where ever you live, it has been insanely hot lately. In NY, it's been brutal. Like 100° with high humidity kind of brutal. This is bad enough for regular people, but couple that kind of heat with being pregnant, and the result is me...well, complaining. A LOT.

Needless to say it's been too hot to do much cooking of any kind. The thought of turning on my oven makes me want to die. We've been eating lots of sandwiches and cereal. Exciting, I know. But the only time I really want to step foot in my kitchen is to stick my head in the freezer for a few blissful seconds. And pull out the vegan ice cream.

Ice cream and summertime goes hand in hand, as does, apparently, ice cream and pregnancy. People keep asking me if I've had any cravings, and I guess that ice cream (the vegan kind, of course) is about the only thing I've really been eating a lot more of lately. Between visits to Lula's I've managed to put away more than my share of the many So Delicious flavors, including the mini ice cream sandwiches which I only recently discovered (why do they make them so SMALL?), and I've even been putting my own ice cream maker to use.

Food & Wine recently had an ice cream sundae slideshow that totally spoke to my ice cream cravings and inspired me to try out this recipe. Actually, I ended up with a combination of two recipes: I put the toppings for this Caramelized Pineapple Sundae with Coconut together with this Fresh Mango Sorbet for a refreshing, slightly spicy, exotic and delicious creation.

I will post the instructions below for making the mango sorbet in an ice cream maker. If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can certainly mix up the ingredients as instructed and put them in a container in the freezer. I have never experimented with doing it that way, but if it all ends up cold and delicious, then it's a success, right?

Indian-Spice Fresh Mango Sorbet with Grilled Pineapple & Coconut
(Mango Sorbet recipe reprinted from here. Grilled Pineapple & Coconut Toppings from this recipe.)
makes about 3 1/2 cups sorbet

For sorbet:
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
3/4 cup sugar
4 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
2 whole cloves
1/2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1/4 cup apricot jam
2 large, ripe mangoes—peeled, pitted and chopped (about 2 cups)

For toppings:
fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/2 inch rings (I recommend 1 - 2 slices per sundae)
vegetable oil or spray, for grill
shredded coconut, lightly toasted in a toaster oven or skillet
Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish

1. In a medium saucepan, combine the water, unsweetened coconut milk, sugar, crushed cardamom pods, cloves and minced ginger and bring to a simmer over moderate heat; simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 25 minutes. Strain the mixture into a bowl and stir in the apricot jam.

2. Puree the chopped mango in a blender. Add the spiced coconut-milk mixture and blend thoroughly. Transfer the coconut-mango mixture to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.

3. Scrape the spiced coconut–mango mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Keep the mango sorbet in the freezer until ready to serve.

4. Brush the pineapple rings with oil or spray your grill with cooking spray. Grill pineapple over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until the pineapple is lightly charred and softened, about 8 minutes. Transfer the rings to a work surface and cut into bite-size pieces.

5. Top mango sorbet with pineapple pieces, toasted coconut flakes, and a sprig of fresh mint. Eat. Imagine yourself lounging at a tropical resort. Enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. That is absolutely stunning and worthy of being served in an upscale restaurant- vegan or otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks great. I'm going to add this to the menu for our Indian food night! (Yes, we have themes for some of our dinners :) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! It's so hot in London at the moment (hopefully it lasts) if so, i will be making this over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got me with mango. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete