Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The vegan brunch by which all other future brunches will be measured...

Shame on me. I am so hopelessly behind in my blog posts. I assure you I have a few lined up, things I've been meaning to post about, but recently my job has become far more tedious and exhausting than it ever was before, and by the time I get home from work I can barely muster up the energy to throw together some kind of quickie (read: uninspired) dinner before lamenting my swollen ankles and passing out on the couch sometime around 9:30pm. I know, it's a thrilling, sexy life I'm leading, and I'm sure you're all jealous.

But there have been a few highlights to my otherwise stalled social life, namely my baby shower this past weekend thrown by one of my dearest friends in the world. Actually, several very dear friends banded together to throw a vegan brunch feast in my honor and I am still feeling very spoiled days later from it.

Before I went vegan, brunch was easily my favorite meal. Especially living in NY, there is a real brunch culture, and by that I mean people here really love any excuse to get drunk during the day and eat a bunch of food. Once I went vegan, I was momentarily stumped - what would I order at brunch? No more omelets, no more french toast, no more eggs benedict... of course, thanks to invaluable resources like Vegan Brunch, I can recreate my brunch favorites at home, but then you're still missing the social factor that is inherent to the brunch experience.

So when my friend Patricia asked what I wanted to do for the baby shower, it was simple: I wanted brunch with lots of friends. Amazingly, my vegan and omni friends alike got to work on an inspired, all-vegan brunch menu that was enjoyed by all. And by me especially. It really is true that food tastes better when love is the main ingredient.

Here are some of the treats made by the best friends a knocked-up gal could ask for:

Hope made these incredible mini-tofu quiches. Pretty & yummy too!

Sara brought a colorful & fabulous fruit salad.

An array of dishes: Valerie's Roasted Butternut Squash Salad & Cashew Sundried Tomato Spread with crostini, Hope's heavenly biscuits, and Susanne brought my favorite Field Roast Sausages!

Neil had never made vegan french toast before, but I gave him Isa's recipe for Banana Rabanada, and he whipped up a huge batch that was banana french toast perfection. Next to the french toast is gravy to go with Hope's biscuits, roasted potatoes, and two kinds of tofu scramble. Yum!

Close up of the tofu scrambles made by Patricia: one kind was Italian seasoned, the other was more Latin-inspired. Both were delicious.

Better shot of Valerie's beautiful salad

And we had platters of mini cupcakes from Cowgirl's Baking: The Elvis (chocolate cake with banana filling & peanut butter frosting), French Toast (cinnamon vanilla cake with cinnamon maple frosting), and Tiramisu (vanilla cake soaked in coffee with cream cheese frosting). Thank you to Purvi for bringing these!


There were plenty of other bites that I didn't manage to get a shot of, but I am most disappointed that I missed taking pics of Annie's totally addictive pumpkin-spiced mini donuts and Marisa's chocolate chip cookies. (Update: see the picture AND get the recipe for Annie's donuts here!) It was such an array of scrumptious vegan goodies, and I am still completely overwhelmed by the kindness & generosity from our friends.

 If you look closely, you can see Annie's mini pumpkin donuts!

There was a very touching bead/blessing ceremony.

More beading.



 Our beautiful floral blessing bracelets.
Proud papa-to-be.

 C'est moi. (Avec le bump.)

1 comment: