Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Baguette French Toast with "Cream Cheese" & Apples


It's the first Big Vegan Virtual Potluck today, and for breakfast I brought Baguette French Toast with "Cream Cheese" and Apples (with a side of some vegan sausages). You know I love a good brunch, and this dish is perfect for a lazy Sunday morning, even better if you have some mimosas on the side. As Robin notes in her book, this is a breakfast that looks like you put a lot more effort into it than you actually did. The only part that really took any time was chopping the apples, but you don't even need to peel them so it wasn't that much work. And the smell of apples and cinnamon cooking with maple syrup is simply heavenly. 

Just a note about the recipe below - I actually used only 3 apples, and that still seemed like plenty. And I might have cut my baguette slices a little thick, so I needed to make a little extra of the rice milk batter. But otherwise this turned out great. I used Tofutti brand cream cheese and it really adds that extra bit of richness that is great with the cooked fruit and spices. A perfect autumnal breakfast!

Make sure to leave a comment for a chance to win your own free copy of Big Vegan! Just answer the question: What's your favorite VEGAN main course to make for the holidays?

Baguette French Toast with "Cream Cheese" & Apples
from Big Vegan
serves 4

2 Tbsp. Earth Balance margarine, plus extra for the pan
4 large Granny Smith apples, chopped
1 cup + 1 tsp. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup vanilla soymilk or rice milk
3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
24 thin slices whole wheat baguette
1 1/2 cups tofu "cream cheese"

1. In a small frying pan over medium heat, melt the margarine. Add the apples and saute, tossing and stirring until they are soft and juicy. Add 1 cup of the syrup and the cinnamon and stir. Bring the syrup to a boil, then take it off the heat and let cool.

2. In a pie pan, whisk together the soymilk, yeast, cornstarch, remaining 1 tsp. syrup, vanilla, and nutmeg. Heat a large cast-iron frying pan or griddle over medium-high heat. When hot, spread with margarine. Dip each slice of bread in the milk mixture to coat, letting it soak for about 1 minute. Drop the slices in the pan and cook for about 4 minutes per side, reducing the heat to medium as they start to sizzle. Flip the slices and cook until they are well browned.

3. Sandwich two cooked slices with 1 Tbsp. of "cream cheese." Serve the French toast sandwiches with the warm apples and syrup.

8 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! You can bring some over to my house:) Would be perfect with some green chai:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite things to eat before I went vegan was 'stuffed french toast' from a little local breakfast joint. It was french toast sandwiched with cream cheese and marionberry jam. This looks so much like it. Thanks! I had almost forgotten how much I used to like this dish! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so yesterday i said that tofurkey was my favorite, and it is... but i remembered another favorite that this post reminded me of... "bangers" and mash! i love to make veggies sausages and serve them over mashed potatoes. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks fantastic, I wish were all actually having brunch at your place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it Sunday morning yet? Cause this is going to be my breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite vegan main course for the holidays would be a black bean and sweet potato casserole.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohgoodgolly that looks so amazingly good! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    I'm not traditional at all so I love serving curried lentil loaf, but I still gotsta have me some cornbread! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's interesting to see the way French toast has been veganized. I think I mentioned earlier on your blog that butternut - or another squash, such as acorn squash - with a festive cranberry stuffing would be my choice for a holiday vegan main course. I might follow that with a creamy chocolate tofu pie for dessert.

    ReplyDelete