Monday, October 3, 2011

Indian-Spiced Skillet-Roasted Okra.


I fear that I'm posting this okra recipe too late in the season. I didn't make it to the farmer's market this past weekend, so I don't know if the okra was still there, but regardless, okra is more of a warm weather vegetable and if you can still find it fresh, its days are certainly numbered.

That said, having grown up eating Southern food, okra is one of my favorite ingredients. I usually prepare it by coating the slices in a spicy cornmeal batter, then frying it in the pan, but I think we can all agree that while delicious, that probably isn't the healthiest way to eat okra. Or anything for that matter. Which is why I was really excited to find this recipe for this Skillet-Roasted Spiced Okra that would involve a lot less oil and would just really let the natural flavor and texture of the okra shine through. The recipe is already vegan, so just follow the instructions at the link.

The Indian spices (hot paprika, cumin, coriander, fennel seeds, turmeric, cinnamon, fenugreek) seem to have a natural afinity for the okra. It sounds like a lot of ingredients but the recipe couldn't have been easier to make - you simply roast the okra spears in the pan with just a little oil, then sprinkle the spice mixture on top and drizzle a little lemon juice over everything to serve. Super fast and easy. And for those of you who don't like, or are scared of, okra because of the "slime" factor - I assure you, this method of preparing the okra completely eliminates the slime! The spears turn golden brown and crispy within minutes. I served these over basmati rice with some Aloo Mattar (potato & pea curry). Quick and delicious!

1 comment: