Monday, October 3, 2011

Pepperoni Pizza. My Secret Weapon.


So I know that I've been posting sporadically for quite some time now, then all of a sudden I have two posts up in one day. Crazy, right? I'm unpredictable that way.

Anyway, this is just a short post to relate a funny story that happened to me recently. A very close, very dear friend of mine, whom we could refer to as a "vegan flirt," to use one of Alicia Silverstone's favorite terms, recently said in an offhanded, joking manner that she'd consider going vegan, "when someone invents vegan pepperoni."

So I sent her a picture of this. We had just made this vegan pepperoni pizza the day before she made the comment. I'm not going to post a recipe because I really just assembled a bunch of store-bought ingredients: a cornmeal crust from Whole Foods, pizza sauce (use your favorite brand), Daiya mozzarella cheese, and Lightlife Pepperoni-style slices. Sprinkle liberally with fresh or dried basil, oregano, and bake at 450 for about 15 minutes.


It remains to be seen if this pepperoni pizza will in fact convert my friend to veganism, but I hope that it helps prove that being vegan needn't mean depriving yourself of your favorite foods. Even if that food happens to be pepperoni.

And if pepperoni pizza isn't enough to convert someone to veganism, I should point out the Vegan MoFo is in full swing for the entire month of October, and if these vegan bloggers can't convert you, then I don't know what will. I participated in Vegan MoFo last year, and it was a great, albeit exhausting experience. It's great exposure for your own blog, and you get to connect with and discover lots of other vegan bloggers while you're at it. It was a difficult decision to not sign up again this year, but I just didn't think I could keep up the pace of daily posting for a solid month. Between my job, which has been insane lately, being 8 months pregnant and tired all the time, and preparing our apartment for the baby, I can barely manage to throw together a pepperoni pizza made out of store-bought ingredients, you know? But I will be reading the daily updates and hope to discover some great new vegan blogs. You should do it too. Support your fellow vegans!

1 comment:

  1. I hope your friend considers it after seeing your yummy looking pizza!

    ReplyDelete