Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Very Big Vegan Post


This is a pretty action-packed post. First, I am excited to announce that I am one of the participants in the Big Vegan Virtual Potluck. On Tuesday, October 18th, I (along with others) will post photos and one of the breakfast recipes from Big Vegan. On October 25th, other participants will be posting some of the soup, salad, or small plate recipes, and then on November 1st, I will post both a main course and a dessert recipe. I've seen the virtual "menu" for all the participants and believe me when I say that you are in for some big treats!

I recently had the pleasure of meeting the author, Robin Asbell, whose other cookbooks include The New Whole Grains Cookbook and New Vegetarian, when she taught a Vegan Sauces class at Natural Gourmet. I've written about several classes I've taken before at Natural Gourmet (here, here, and here) but Robin's class was my favorite so far. She was a fun and knowledgeable instructor, and her recipes were all umami-packed and absolutely delicious. Here is a sample of some of the recipes we made that evening (all of the recipes we made can be found in Big Vegan):

Guatemalan Pumpkin Seed Simmer Sauce, with Yucca on a Bed of Quinoa

White Wine & Herb Reduction Sauce over White Bean Crostini

Chinese Sesame Sauce & Quick Seasonal Stirfry over Rice

Bengali Curry Simmer Sauce with Tofu & Brown Rice

Porcini Mushroom Pasta Sauce over Whole Wheat Penne

Creamy Corn & Basil Soup (the creamy soup base is a vegan Bechamel Sauce)

A sample of all the dishes we made in class - also including a Red Wine Reduction over Millet-Cauliflower Puree, and Steamed French Beans with Hollandaise

My other exciting news is that along with this Virtual Potluck I am offering my first ever giveaway! That's right, you can win your own free copy of Big Vegan! Winner will be chosen at random on November 1st. To enter, all you have to do is leave a comment to this post (please make sure to include your email so I can contact you!), answering the question: What's your favorite VEGAN main dish to make for the holidays?

21 comments:

  1. I'm excited for the posts, that sounds awesome!
    My favourite main dish on the holidays is always lentil loaf :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I switch main vegan dishes for the holidays every year to put a spin on things/not get bored, but the best I've ever made was a chickpea and veggie tart with homemade crust. It was a hit and came out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmm
    My favorite is stuffed acorn squash with tempeh and quinoa!

    micah
    micahg123 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making vegan tamales for the holdiays they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's become a tradition in my husbands family to have lasagna on holidays. There will be a meat version, a vegetarian version, and I'll make the vegan version. I hate to break tradition, but I'd really like to try some new dishes, and these look great!
    djclimber(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe! Mashed Garlic/Earth Balance Cauliflower with homemade wild mushroom gravy and some hint of seasoning! Lovely for a Thanksgiving dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i know it's boring, but i just love cooking up a tofurkey! i always experiment with different ways to baste it and add different root veggies when i bake it... last year i used a garlicky baste and it was deelish! this year i am going to try a pumpkin-beer concoction. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a tie between hardy minestrone and black bean chili (with tempeh and tofu)!

    janetsue6@yahoo.com

    :) Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those dishes look awesome! <3 porcini mushrooms!

    My favorite dish to make for the holidays is a dessert: vegan chocolate babka!

    vegand at verizon dot net

    (BTW - I couldn't get this comment form to work in Internet Explorer 8. I had to open it in Google Chrome)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite is a seitan roulade, made with Terry Hope Romero's white seitan from Viva Vegan rolled up with my mother's veganized mushroom stuffing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it bad that my absolute favorite ever main dish at Thanksgiving was the field roast Hazelnut En Croute that I "made" last year?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite dish is vegan mac and cheese! I don't have it often, but we break it out for holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was in that vegan sauces class with you and also loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sesame-crusted Tofu is my favorite T-day treat. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like a great cookbook. I'm not vegan, so I don't have a holiday vegan dish. But I'm trying to cook more vegan for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. my favorite vegan thanksgiving dish - hearty black bean chili or vegan portobella mushroom lasagna!

    amandapaa@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, those dishes look so tasty!

    My favourite dish to share, no matter what the festivity, is a lentil salad with capers and currants. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My absolute favorite holiday dish is vegan pumpkin cheesecake! I especially love it made with a crushed pecan crust. No matter how amazing the main dishes are, my mind is always on that tasty dessert!

    clyatt.mandy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. A big huge roasted veggie tart on phyllo dough! So beautiful and so delicious.

    mgrmj@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. My favourite holiday main is the cranberry tofu from Vegan Dad's blog - fresh cranberries are one of the best things about the season!

    m.sqawsan.b@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete