Saturday, November 26, 2011

A Very Belated & Very Sleepy Thanksgiving Post


I hope you all enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving. I've mentioned before that Thanksgiving is my very favorite holiday and I look forward to the amazing feast all year long, which is why it is highly unusual and somewhat lame that not only did I not post any Thanksgiving recipes this month, but I didn't even do a post on Thanksgiving day itself. But I have a good excuse. You see, I just gave birth a week ago to this beautiful boy named Bodhi.

Bodhi was born on Saturday, November 19th, weighing a healthy 7 lbs. 4 oz. I will spare you the details but we'll just say that it took 48 hours of active labor and finally a c-section to get this little guy out. We were all set to come home on Tuesday, but then a case of jaundice (fairly common in newborns) necessitated us staying an extra day in the hospital. I started panicking about not being able to all go home together for Thanksgiving, but we were finally discharged from the hospital Wednesday evening, just in the nick of time. 

I knew even before I went into labor that I wouldn't be in any shape to cook Thanksgiving dinner for us this year, and we couldn't exactly make restaurant reservations, not knowing when the big event would actually take place, so we ordered our Thanksgiving dinner this year from one of my favorite places, Foodswings. After getting us settled in at home Wednesday evening, my husband ran out to pick up our order, and we were able to enjoy the best kind of vegan comfort food at home, our first Thanksgiving all together.

Ok, not the best food photo, but my husband made this plate for me. It is a plate full of love and goodness.

The Foodswings special Thanksgiving menu included a seitan "turkey" roast, complete with those famous drumsticks, rosemary mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, macaroni & cheese, garlicky green beans, cranberry sauce, and biscuits. It was all absolutely delicious and that has nothing to do with the fact that I had just been subjected to a week of hospital food. In fact, I will have to do a separate post on the challenge of being a vegan in the hospital, but that is for another day. At any rate, I am so thankful that Foodswings (and my friend Hope) made our vegan Thanksgiving possible this year. And I am most thankful for this tremendous blessing that has forever changed our lives.


8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I wondered if the silence on your blog had anything to do with your expanding family! He's darling and I'm so happy for you and your husband! Indeed, much to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! What a beautiful baby! It's great you were able to come home and I love the carryout you got. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations :) One more blessing to give thanks for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!!! :) Such a happy Thanksgiving indeed. (And the food looks good.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! :-). Sounds like you had a wonderful thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful Thanksgiving gift - to spend it with your family new & old. Congratulations on becoming a mother!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! Happy Holidays! So glad you both are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww! Congratulations Leinana! He's adorable.

    ReplyDelete