Friday, December 16, 2011

Virtual Vegan Holiday Side Dish: Sweet Potato Puree with Maple & Sour Cream


As you might imagine, with a newborn I've hardly had a spare minute to cook, much less to update this sorely neglected blog. I feel so guilty. I truly hope to get back in the kitchen soon, but right now I am dealing with some postpartum complications and feeding the little one around the clock. It just doesn't leave me any time or energy to cook or feed anybody else. My husband and I have been surviving on things that are easily heated, takeout, and delivery. It's not the most ideal situation but Bodhi's sweet face makes it all worthwhile.

Seeing as I missed out on cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year, and the possibility of cooking any other holiday meals seems increasingly unlikely, I was happy to be invited to participate in a virtual vegan holiday dinner with some of my favorite vegan bloggers. Each of us are posting a recipe today that is part of a larger vegan holiday menu. For my part, I made a Sweet Potato Puree with Maple & vegan Sour Cream, adapted from this Real Simple recipe. For Thanksgiving, I do like to make a sweet potato casserole, topped with candied pecans and mini Sweet & Sara marshmallows, but this recipe is much easier and fast enough to do any day of the year. It would be a perfect accompaniment to any holiday menu, but as you can see, I had it for dinner last night with some vegan riblets - they may not be the healthiest thing for a vegan to eat, but once in a while, they really hit the spot.


Vegan Sweet Potato Puree With Maple & Sour Cream
serves 4

2 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes, unpeeled, in 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup maple syrup 
2 Tbsp. Earth Balance or margarine
1/2 cup vegan sour cream 
salt  and pepper, to taste 
1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

1. Steam sweet potato cubes until fork-tender, about 10 minutes; drain and place in a large mixing bowl.

2. Add the maple syrup, vegan butter, and sour cream. Using a wooden spoon or potato masher, mix until smooth. Season with the salt, pepper, and pumpkin pie spice. Transfer to a pan, place over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until warmed through, about 5 minutes.

Check out the complete menu and participants for the Virtual Vegan Holiday Dinner:
Appetizer
Carrot Pâté by Diet, Desserts, and Dogs

The Drink
Winter Warmer Cocktail by Pea Soup Eats

Main Dish
Vegan Holiday Casserole by Namely Marly

The Sides
Cranberry and Orange Ginger Mango Chutney by Loves Veggies and Yoga
Vegan Sweet Potato Puree with Maple and Sour Cream by Vegan Good Things

The Bread
Crescent Rolls by That’s So Vegan

The Best Part: Desserts
Four Ingredient Vegan Pumpkin Pie by Lunch Box Bunch
Skillet Pear Gingerbread Cake by The Tolerant Vegan
Chocolate Pecan Cookie Pies by Your Vegan Mom
Eggnog Cheesecake by Manifest Vegan

5 comments:

  1. Guilt and motherhood seem to go hand in hand. I think after awhile you just get used to it. This sweet potato dish looks amazing! I can't wait to try it myself. Thanks SO much for taking time out of your holiday to participate in the Virtual Vegan Holiday Dinner...it wouldn't have been the same without you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore sweet potatoes--sounds like a great dish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good, I would never think to include vegan sour cream but I can see how it would make it taste just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! Sweet potatoes are probably my favorite side dish at Thanksgiving, why not make them for Christmas too?

    ReplyDelete