Monday, January 23, 2012

A Warm & Cozy Winter Dinner: Mushroom Pot Pie


There are few things that I like to cook with more than puff pastry. There's just something magical in its puffy, flaky, buttery deliciousness. I mean, I don't love it enough to make my own, apparently, but I do love to defrost a package of it and let it work its magic on whatever recipe I'm making. Don't judge me for that.

While we're discussing my culinary laziness, I do love a pot pie but I have to confess I'd never made one before because it just seemed like too much work. That whole making the crust and everything. If you haven't noticed on my blog thus far, I kind of hate making crusts. I can hear the gasps of horror across the foodie blogosphere right now...but it's true. I hate making crusts. There, it's out in the open now.

So now you see the real reason I love puff pastry so much. It tastes delicious and saves you the trouble of all that mixing and kneading and rolling. Who has time for all that? So imagine my delight when I found this recipe in Real Simple for a Mushroom Pot Pie that not only includes a puff pastry crust, but was also already vegan! I didn't have to substitute a thing! This pot pie is incredibly easy to make and thoroughly satisfying and delicious, especially on a cold winter evening.

Go to the link for the full recipe, but you can see here how easy the steps are:

1. Saute mushrooms, onions, carrots, and celery with dried thyme, salt, and pepper until vegetables are tender.


2. Add flour and frozen peas to mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil.


3. Transfer mushroom mixture to an 8x8 baking dish, top with one sheet of defrosted puff pastry. Cut vents in top of pastry and bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes, until crust is golden.


Make sure to read the ingredients on your puff pastry before buying, as many (especially the fancy kinds like they sell at Whole Foods) will include butter. Fortunately though, the Pepperidge Farms brand is vegan and widely available.

4 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. I can't believe the original recipe was already vegan--score! Putting this on my "must make" list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely delicious! And even though it's summer here it's gone all rainy so I can't wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made this tonight. It is a winner all the way around. The whole family enjoyed it. I didn't have any puff pastry so I made a potato/rutabaga mash to top it, kind of like a shepherds pie. I'm adding more and more vegan meals all the time and this recipe is a keeper. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete