Friday, February 24, 2012

Oscar Noms #1: Meatyball


It's the final Oscar Noms post! I just watched Moneyball, which is probably the last film I'll manage to fit in before the Oscars on Sunday. I wish I could say I loved this movie, but I can't say that, because I fell asleep halfway through it. That could either be due to the fact that I wake up to feed the baby every three hours during the night, or because this is a film about baseball and statistics and probability. Zzzzzz. Sorry Brad. I wanted to love your movie, but you put me to sleep.

I did manage to complete this batch of Swedish Meatballs though. I must confess I've never tasted a Swedish meatball, despite my many trips to Ikea. Traditional Swedish meatballs are usually made with a combination of pork, beef, and veal. Obviously my version contains none of those, so it may not be authentic, but it's still good. Lingonberry jam is the key condiment to go with the meatballs, think of it the way cranberry sauce is a must-have for the un-turkey at Thanksgiving. I found it at my local Whole Foods, and of course you can buy it at Ikea, or online.

This recipe does take a little time, but it makes 48 meatballs, or 6-8 servings. If you're not cooking for a crowd, you can freeze these meatballs after forming and then cook them later. This recipe is adapted from this one in Bon Appetit, from the Smörgås Chef restaurant in NYC. Smaklig måltid!

Vegan Swedish Meatballs
makes 48 1-inch meatballs (6-8 servings)

1 cup fresh breadcrumbs 
2 1/3 cups vegetable stock, divided 
4 Tbsp. Earth Balance or other vegan butter, divided 
1 cup minced onion 
3 slices tempeh bacon (such as Lightlife brand)
2 14-oz. packages vegan ground beef (I recommend Lightlife brand again because it holds together best for this recipe)
3 flax "eggs" (3 Tbsp. ground flax meal mixed with 6 Tbsp. water)
1 Tbsp. salt 
1 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 
1 1/2 tsp. sugar 
1 tsp. ground allspice 
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg 
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour 
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. vegan sour cream 
lingonberry preserves, for serving

1. Mix breadcrumbs and 1/3 cup stock in a small bowl. Set aside. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer onion to a large bowl.

2. Wipe out pan and return to medium heat. Add tempeh bacon and cook until browned on both sides. Remove from pan, mince, then add to bowl with onion. Add next 8 ingredients to bowl with onion mixture, mixing with your hands to blend. (I found it easier to break up the large chunks with a potato masher first, then mix by hand.) Fold in breadcrumb mixture. Using a 1 Tbsp. measure, roll mixture into balls; transfer to a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

3. Melt 1 Tbsp. Earth Balance with 3 Tbsp. olive oil in a large heavy pan over medium heat. Cook meatballs 6-8 minutes, turning frequently until browned on all sides. Transfer meatballs to a plate. Add remaining 2 Tbsp. Earth Balance to pan. Whisk in flour until smooth paste forms. Stir in 2 cups stock; bring to a simmer, whisking often. Return meatballs to pan. Cover; simmer until meatballs are fully cooked, 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat, whisk in vegan sour cream, and stir to coat meatballs. Serve with lingonberry preserves.



3 comments:

  1. looks and sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is amazing! I'm so glad I found it. I will also be making a road trip to Foodswings happen soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You can't beat a trip to Foodswings :)

      Delete