Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Oscar Noms #2: War Horseradish Mashed Potatoes


It's hard to make mashed potatoes look interesting. Don't get me wrong, I could eat my weight in mashed potatoes. I love them, but what I mean is it is hard to photograph mashed potatoes in an interesting way. They just look like a big white or yellowish blob on a plate.

It's also hard to make a film about using horses in war look interesting. From a vegan point of view, War Horse is the Oscar film that I am least interested in seeing, as I disapprove of using horses to fight wars or to be exploited to star in movies. But back to the mashed potatoes. What is not difficult is to jazz up your mashed potatoes in new and exciting ways, like adding horseradish to them, which does not injure any horses in the process.

It's amazing how something as simple as just adding a tablespoon or two of horseradish to your usual mashed potato recipe can transform them and add the perfect zippy, zingy kick. You could also add wasabi for a very similar bite, although I think wasabi tends to hit you in the nose more than the mellower horseradish. Anyway, this is such a simple recipe I almost feel bad posting it, but here you go. This was a perfect accompaniment to an easy dinner of baked teriyaki tofu and some quick sauteed spinach.


Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
serves 2 - 4

1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (unpeeled is fine)
1/2 cup plain non-dairy milk of your choice
3 Tbsp. Earth Balance or other vegan butter
2 Tbsp. bottled horseradish, drained
salt and pepper to taste

1. Steam potatoes until tender and easily mashable. Drain and transfer potatoes to a large bowl.
2. Add non-dairy milk, Earth Balance, and horseradish to potatoes. Use a potato masher or hand mixer to mash until you reach your desired consistency. I don't mind mine a bit chunky.
3. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

There's only one Oscar Noms left before the big day! Can you guess what my final dish will be?

3 comments:

  1. That's a great idea to incorporate the wonderful, robust flavor of horseradish into mild mashed potatoes. I've recently gotten into horseradish hummus,and it's the same kind of idea. It takes a simpler flavor and mixes it with the bold punch of horseradish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horseradish hummus sounds great! I will try that, thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  2. Brilliant combination of ingredients. I love mashed potatoes and I'm drooling over the idea of horseradish mixed in.

    ReplyDelete