Monday, February 13, 2012

Oscar Noms #5: Hugo-gi


Hugo-gi is a play on Best Picture Nom Hugo and bulgogi. I've been wanting to make Manifest Vegan's Bulgogi Style Tofu ever since I saw her incorporate her recipe into a Bulgogi Steak Sandwich when we participated in the project to veganize America's Top 10 New Sandwiches a while ago. I love Korean food and my office is located just two short blocks from NYC's Koreatown, but since I've been on maternity leave for the past twelve weeks, I've been missing my K-town lunches and am in serious need of a Korean food fix.

Allyson's marinade for this tofu dish is divine. I know it looks like a ton of onion and garlic, and it is, but the flavors mellow overnight and meld together into a sweet, salty, spicy combination that just gets better the longer you let it sit. It is seriously good stuff, I had a hard time stopping myself from nibbling on all the cooked tofu pieces before I could manage to plate and serve it. You have to plan ahead to let the tofu marinate overnight, which I confess usually makes me avoid a recipe, but this one is really well worth it. Just go here for Allyson's recipe (and for her gorgeous photos which put mine to shame) and make this for one of the best tofu dishes I've ever had. I recommend serving this with some spinach or bok choy sauteed in toasted sesame oil with a sprinkle of sesame seeds, over rice. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Now that I think of it I realized that I never had Korean food. Allysons recipes are wonderful and your picture is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete