Thursday, February 2, 2012

Oscar Noms #8: The Help (Yourself to Another Slice of Chocolate Pudding Pie)


I recently saw The Help, having already read the book, and I am totally rooting for Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer to win Oscars for their moving performances as Aibileen and Minny. I wish I could say I was equally impressed by the other actors in this movie... but I can't.

There was no question, having seen and read the story, that I would have to make a chocolate pie for this edition of the Oscar Noms because such a major plot point revolves around a chocolate pie. (Obviously my chocolate pie is missing Minny's "secret ingredient." If you haven't seen the movie, I'll just let you guess what that is.) I made the recipe for Chocolate Pudding Pie from one of my current favorite cookbooks, Vegan Pie in the Sky, by the vegan queens Terry Romero and Isa Moskowitz. I can't give you the recipe, you'll just have to buy the book yourself.

This pie has become my go-to favorite. It's chocolate, it's pudding, it has a graham cracker crust (and the gals even give you permission to use a store bought one)... what more do I need to say? It's delicious. Buy the book, make this pie, top it with Soyatoo! soy whipped topping and chocolate shavings, and just try to not eat it all in one sitting, straight out of the pie pan.

3 comments:

  1. YUM! I loved that movie. I hope they win an award for sure. That whole pie story was crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved "the Help". I've only seen the film but it was the perfect combo of light-hearted silliness and moving story, and I agree, some great acting. Your pie looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete