Monday, March 5, 2012

2012 NYC Vegetarian Food Festival

This weekend I made a quick stop in the NYC Vegetarian Food Festival. This is the second annual festival, but I didn't make it inside last year due to the 3+ hour line that people were waiting on when we arrived. Fortunately there was a very short wait this year due to a revised ticketing system, and due to the fact that we bought VIP passes to avoid such a problem.

Despite its name, the festival is actually (as far as I can tell) entirely vegan, not just vegetarian. There were plenty of samples for tasting: brands such as Daiya, Teese, Yves, Sweet & Sara, Rescue Chocolate, Coconut Bliss, Cavi-Art, and local restaurants/health food stores like Loving Hut, V-Spot, and Perelandra were all represented, to name only a few of the many vendors. (For a full list of vendors, see here.) Activist groups including PETA, Mercy for Animals, Sea Shepherd, and Compassion Over Killing were onsite, and Herbivore, Vaute Couture, and Compassion Couture were also there displaying compassionate fashion. If all that weren't enough to make your head spin, there were also two days worth of speakers, performers, and cooking demos. It was a bit overwhelming, to tell you the truth, but how amazing to be overwhelmed by such a wealth of vegan displays!

There was an incredible turnout, and from the many snippets of conversations I overheard, I would say that probably the majority of people there were veg-curious as opposed to already dedicated vegans. I heard many comments like, "I can't even tell the difference!" upon sampling a vegan goodie. I think that the festival certainly raised awareness of veganism and I would daresay made converts out of more than a few. Here are just a few of the photos we took while there:

People watching Mercy for Animal's video. Hopefully they decided to go vegan!

One of the many flavors of seaweed-based "caviar" from Cavi-Art. It looks so real!

The lovely Sara from Sweet & Sara vegan marshmallow fame

And Sara's myriad of marshmallows, s'mores, rice crispy treats, and rocky road bites

Wares on display from Herbivore Clothing

Annie from Meet the Shannons modeling one of Herbivore's "Compassion is Invincible" tees

That's my hubby and baby chatting with Leanne from Vaute Couture (wearing her "I Can't Even Look at You in That Fur" tee)

Rescue Chocolate bars

And I forgot to mention the one display that stole the show for me... this Vitamix guy. I've been toying with the idea for some time now of investing in a Vitamix, but I just couldn't make up my mind. Until this weekend. After seeing him demo not just how to make incredible green juices, but also practically instant hot soups AND ice creams, I couldn't help myself. I took the plunge and ordered one! I have to wait ten long business days before my precious machine arrives, which kills all my sense of instant gratification, but I think the wait will be worthwhile. I'm so excited to get Vitamix-ing. Who else has one? What's your favorite recipe to make in it?

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great time. I'm in awe of the "caviar". I never had caviar pregan but I want to try the vegan kind that I see here as it looks so interesting. And congrats on deciding to get a Vitamix. It is a great investment. I use mine at least twice a week or more. I don't have any one particular recipe I love making on it but for me, it takes the raw dishes I make up a notch b/c I can get things supa smooth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you're going to love your Vita-Mix! I love making raw, nut-based dressings! I made a Lemon-Cashew Cream Sauce (Robin Robertson recipe) in it this weekend. O.M.G. I make hemp seed milk and sunflower seed milk in it, too. YUM.

    I can't wait to see what YOU make!

    ReplyDelete