Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Maimonide of Brooklyn

It's been a few months since I heard about this new all-vegan restaurant in walking distance from our apartment, called Maimonide of Brooklyn. I'd heard it was a casual spot, but not much else about it, and the website is maddeningly cryptic, revealing only video of a not particularly picturesque stretch of Atlantic Avenue and absolutely nothing about the food. So I wasn't in much of a hurry to check it out. I mean, I'm always intrigued about new vegan places to try out, but this one seemed to be going out of its way to stay under the radar.

Well I finally made it by this past weekend, and Maimonide, or M.O.B., is my newest favorite restaurant in town. The food was incredibly fresh and imaginative, and I can't believe this place has been hiding under my nose all this time. It is certainly worth a trek out to Brooklyn if you're not already in the neighborhood.

Our visit started out with some beverages and a complimentary nibble of these housemade cinnamon rolls. Wonderfully fresh, moist, and dusted with cinnamon sugar. These certainly whetted our appetite and left us wanting for more.


We got one of the brunch specials, which was a homemade sweet potato "sausage" served atop yellow grits with a side of kale. The sausages were smoky, savory, and a surprise. It had been a long time since I'd tasted vegan sausages that weren't soy or seitan-based. Everything was so well seasoned and flavorful, it felt light and healthy but not like "health food," if you know what I mean.


We also tried one of the MOB's - the house specialty. An MOB is described on the menu as "a secret house baked dough made with locally grown and milled organic flour shaped like the arches of the Brooklyn Bridge and topped with fruits, vegetables and seasoning that is wholesome for your body!" I ordered the "Smiley," topped with cherry tomato marinara sauce, marinated tofu, picholine olives, oregano, and wild arugula. It was so fantastic. Totally fresh with all the bright flavors of a pizza, but none of the heaviness or greasiness. Even the arugula was lightly dressed, and it was such a great combination of ingredients. Just delicious.


Luckily though we still had room for dessert. We ordered a strawberry shortcake - a daily special, not on the regular menu although I hope it will be in the future. The coconut whipped cream tasted of lemon and vanilla, between two shortbread cakes, topped with strawberries in a sauce dotted with balsamic and a light chiffonade of fresh basil. Heavenly! 

I'm so excited about this new place and we will certainly be back to M.O.B. soon to sample some more items from their menu. Definitely check this place out soon!

Maimonide of Brooklyn
525 Atlantic Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11217
718-797-2555

5 comments:

  1. oh my gosh what a great discovery! those cinnamon rolls and the dessert look absolutely incredible! i may just have to hop on the L and get me some MOB eats! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Almost all of the trains go to Atlantic Ave.-Pacific St. and they do have gluten-free items on their menu! :)

      Delete
    2. Yay! Within my striking distance for sure - thanks for reviewing!

      Delete
  2. I Love that place! Make sure you ask about the desserts though, when i went a couple months ago, a couple of the desserts were non-vegan. I think it was a honey issue. maybe they have ditched the honey by now, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not just desserts, the "Belly Charmer" has Honey in it too!

    ReplyDelete