Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Oscar Noms #2: Life of Pie


Ok, Life of Pi was an easy one. Obviously I was going to make a pie. Deciding which kind of pie to make was a much harder decision. I consulted my ever trusty copy of Vegan Pie in the Sky and found the perfect recipe for a film about an Indian boy adrift in the ocean with a Bengal tiger: a Chai-Spiced Rice Pudding Pie. That's right. Rice. Pudding. Pie.

I never thought of putting rice pudding in a pie before, but then again, that's one reason why nobody's paid me to write a pie cookbook. It firms up and adds really nice texture to the filling. It's a genius idea. You'll have to buy the book for the recipe, as I don't have permission to reprint it here, but I can describe it for you. First, you make a gingersnap crust. I used these Mi-Del vegan gingersnaps for mine, which they seem to have in most health food stores. For the filling, you cook jasmine rice with coconut milk and sugar, along with four chai tea bags and a cinnamon stick. The filling is thickened up with a mixture of almond milk and cornstarch, then you add golden raisins to the mix along with some vanilla and lemon juice. The filling continues to firm up as the pie cools (only the crust is baked) and is served with a mixture of cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top, which adds some sweetness as well as crunch.

The chai spices along with the coconut milk, raisins, cinnamon, and gingersnaps make such a wonderful, not-too-sweet combination. I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if the film had a perfect ending, but your dinner will definitely have one if you make this pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment