Sunday, February 17, 2013

Oscar Noms #6: Gochujang-o Unchained


I needed a bold, spicy dish for Django Unchained. I mean, this is not a movie for the faint of heart. And I have it on good authority that my favorite director, Quentin Tarantino, is a huge fan of Korean food, so a Korean-inspired noodle dish with a spicy gochujang sauce seemed like the perfect plan.

I came across this recipe for Spicy Soba Noodles with Shiitakes and Cabbage on the Epicurious site, and it was one of those gems you find that is already vegan. I didn't have to substitute anything. I will tell you though that the recommended 2-3 teaspoons of gochujang in the recipe was pretty mild for my taste. A healthy pinch of crushed red chili pepper or some chili sauce may be more to your liking. I'm just saying. But this is definitely the kind of dish where with each bite you take, another layer of flavor comes through. The sweetness of the brown sugar, the salty soy sauce, the gingery kick, the subtle (or not so subtle) heat, together with the crunch of the cabbage... it's a delicious combination.

And for dessert, since we celebrated Valentine's day this past week, I thought I'd share with you some pics of the delicious treats we had.

I made my husband a platter of chocolate-dipped strawberries and Sweet and Sara marshmallows. Chocolate covered strawberries are the simplest, yet always beautiful and delicious treat in the world. Recipe: Melt vegan dark chocolate. Dip strawberries. Place on a parchment-lined tray and refrigerate for 15 minutes so the chocolate sets. I added in some marshmallows too for an extra treat. I got one of Sara's variety packs of the 'mallows and dipped a couple of each. I especially love the toasted coconut ones dipped in chocolate, it almost tastes like a Mounds bar except with MARSHMALLOW. Enough said.

And my sweetheart got me an assortment of treats from Rescue Chocolate, which is wonderfully sweet in more ways than one. Who doesn't want to enjoy eating chocolate while at the same time helping animals?! 100% of Rescue Chocolate's net profits are donated to animal rescue organizations around the country. Compassion is SO SEXY.

Rescue Chocolate's "Wild at Heart" bonbons: dark chocolate hearts filled with raspberry ganache. Hubba hubba.

Rescue Chocolate's "Bow Wow Bon Bons": four different truffles in flavors Salted Peanut, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Cinnamon, and Dark 70%. Heavenly.

And this Gnosis raw chocolate "Romance" bar packed with amazing ingredients like strawberries, goji berries, cranberries, damiana, passionflower, rose hips, lemon essential oil, rose essential oil, and rose petals. Romantic indeed!

Make sure to check back this week for the final entries in my Oscar Noms series! Just one week to go until the main event!

1 comment:

  1. [ Smiles ] Fabulous article; it makes my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete