Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Cafe Blossom, Smorgasburg, and Nyl Skincare

Hi all. I've been neglecting my blog lately, but I've been working on another project that I'm not quite ready to announce, but am very excited about. When I make a little more progress, I'll let you know what it is. But it is vegan, and it is food related. And it might have something to do with Thai recipes. Shhhh.

In the meantime, I'll share with you some recent eats. It's not often I manage to get out without the baby, so it was wonderful recently to have a ladies-only brunch with a couple of my best gal pals. We went to the wonderful Cafe Blossom on Carmine St. and it was just as delicious as what I have come to expect from their sister restaurant, Blossom in Chelsea.

We started with these tasty bite-sized treats, the black-eyed pea and potato cakes, served with chili pepper aioli. Crunchy, savory, with just a little bit of spice, absolutely addictive. 


My friend got the banh mi sandwich, which includes marinated tofu, kimchee, sunflower sprouts, cucumber, kimpura carrot, mayo, avocado, cilantro, basil, and mint, on a toasted baguette. Some Sriracha sauce on the side was the perfect addition to this amazing sandwich.


There's no way I could NOT order the Southern fried seitan with an herb and cheese biscuit, gravy, and sauteed kale. It was crispy, savory, everything a (half) Southern gal could dream of. To be honest, the biscuit wasn't as light and fluffy as I like my biscuits to be, but it tasted really good all the same, especially smothered with the sage-y, herbaceous gravy. Yum.


My other friend ordered the quinoa spaghetti, chock full of spiced tofu, artichoke hearts, carrots, leeks, roasted fennel, kalamata olives, sauteed bell peppers, asparagus, and basil marinara. Very, very tasty.


And then, because this is how we roll, we shared an order of the french toast for dessert. Covered with maple syrup, caramelized banana, candied pecan clusters, and vanilla crème, I definitely ate more than my share of this one.


Since the weather has finally started to warm up, we made it over to one of our favorite parks in Dumbo recently, to take Bodhi for a few rides on Jane's Carousel and a stop by Smorgasburg. If you haven't experienced Smorgasburg yet, in any of its locations, you must check it out. There are plenty of vegan options to choose from the myriad vendors there, the hardest part is stopping yourself from ordering EVERYTHING. On this most recent visit, we stopped by Bombay Sandwich Company. All of their sandwiches are vegan, but they were also selling non-vegan masala chai at their table. Thinking everything on their menu was vegan, we ordered a chai, took a big gulp, and realized it was full of milk. The guy at the table was very apologetic to us and switched our chai for a refreshing and delicious mango lemonade, but just note that the chai is not vegan if you stop by.

The Original Bombay Sandwich: potatoes spiced with dried mango powder, tomatoes, ginger, green chili & lime:


The Sweet Potato Sandwich: sweet potato with dried cranberries, carom seed, cilantro & ginger:


And then we couldn't resist getting a sampler from Taste of Ethiopia. I loooove Ethiopian food. And by the way, they are now selling these packaged spicy collards and lentils in Whole Foods, in the prepared foods/deli section. So delicious! 


And something else I've managed to sample recently is more products from Nyl, the all vegan, all natural skincare line. I tried their gentle sugar body polish recently when it arrived in my Vegan Cuts box, and now I've also tried their whipped hand & body lotion, transformative serum, rosewater face wash, and foaming castile hand soap. Everything is delicately scented, which is a huge plus for me because I am hyper-sensitive to fragrances and perfumes, and leaves your skin feeling dewy soft and silky. I especially like rubbing a few drops of the transformative serum around my tired, haven't-slept-in-over-a-year-eyes. Anyway, Mother's Day is coming up, and any of these products would make a great gift, just sayin'.


2 comments:

  1. I'm starting to think there's a conspiracy in the blogoshpere telling me I need to eat banh mi, because I've been seeing vegan versions everywhere!
    Such amazing food! I don't think I would have been able to share that french toast ;)

    ReplyDelete